Narrowband

Jupiter occultation 15 July

blusky

Seeing the sky would be an interesting event right now. Cloud, cloud, cloud, cloud and yet more cloud :(

Well done to those who did manage to see it and get images though.

James

I had my kit set up in the office upstairs all ready thinking ah yes I've got around this pesky 8 degrees above the horizon business, I should have known it was going to be wall to wall cloud in Ipswich!:(

Well done everyone who saw or captured it:)

Thanks. :)

hmm, you think?

I thought it was a star, HIP 20417A (I tracked Jupiter and not the moon, so the gif looks abit wrong actually). :)

The only other moon I found in Stellarium was Himalia, and that one is almost 16mag.

Or perhaps I am abit tired and didn´t realise that you actually meant the star or didn´t reply to me. :p

Thanks. :)

hmm, you think?

I thought it was a star, HIP 20417A (I tracked Jupiter and not the moon, so the gif looks abit wrong actually). :)

The only other moon I found in Stellarium was Himalia, and that one is almost 16mag.

Or perhaps I am abit tired and didn´t realise that you actually meant the star or didn´t reply to me. :p

It is a star. It often catches people out. A lot of people refer to it as Jupiters fifth moon (jokingly).

I was on night shift last night and after the last month or so amazingly had clear skies. I got to see Jupiter fly by the moon (due to my location) with the naked eye. It's just a pity I couldn't have a go at viewing it with my scope :sad:. But at least I got to see it :laugh:

Four members of the Leicester Astronomical Society ventured out, hoping the clouds would clear. And they did, but only just, half way through the grazing occultation. The view through the scope was so amazing that I forgot to get the camera out until after the Moon and Jupiter had separated quite abit, but here are a couple of pictures.

Jupiter occultation with Venus

Jupiter occultation

Annoyingly, missed it here (S. Oxon) too because of the weather. Will this summer never end.....

However, I was woken up yesterday am at about 4.00 'ish by a couple of foxes mating/fighting/rehearsing the Wagner Ring Cycle in front of my bedroom window, and noticed that the sky had cleared! Took a quick pick of Venus and Jupiter, and a very thin crescent Moon. An amazing sight for a few minutes before the sky lightened.

Chris

post-8142-0-75585600-1342607477_thumb.jp

Archived