SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar occultation

Vince1963

Well again the proverbial weather is going to do what it does best in the UK... I was hoping to get out and see the Occultation of Jupiter tonight

but We have had rain most of the day and the dark clouds are still here,We keep getting the odd break in clouds but not enough that i want to get up at 2:30am. Jupiter and its moons would have looked nice against the waning crescent of about 8% of out moon (i think). From here up north it is going to be a near miss so would have made an attractive image i think. (not that i have any astro photographic gear).. :embarrassed:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I woke up at about 2 and it was clear in that direction.

Naemeth, I have similar issues with fir trees at the bottom of my garden, so I had to stand on the bike store leaning against the outhouse! Saw it pretty well, but that ruled out everything but me trusty 10x50s :D

too low to see jupe's moons though - wouldve been great if I'd planned properly and had a trip with me scope...

On holiday in Crete. Managed to get this image using DSLR and 300mm zoom lens. We had a clear sky, but strong winds made getting a steady image difficult. However, first attempt at AP so pleased to get any image at all :grin:

Image overexposed to get earthshine and Jupiter's moons

Adrian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81730580@N05/7573052308/

I got up at 1am. Due to buildings, I drove about 3 miles out of the village to a good spot. However, the cloud was just too think. There was a clear patch to the north which was moving east, but far too slowly. I hung around until 3am before heading home. I didn't even take any of the kit out of the car! Oh well...

On holiday in Crete. Managed to get this image using DSLR and 300mm zoom lens. We had a clear sky, but strong winds made getting a steady image difficult. However, first attempt at AP so pleased to get any image at all :grin:

Image overexposed to get earthshine and Jupiter's moons

Adrian

http://www.flickr.co...N05/7573052308/

Thanks for sharing the image Adrian - at least I can not say I saw it !!! Nice image by the way.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Thanks

That's a really nice image.

I just about caught it - the moon had barely risen over the houses opposite so I didn't bother setting up my scope and instead watched it (albeit upside down!) through my finderscope from inside. It was a lot more impressive than I had expected.

Shortly after I thought I would try and get an image and, after hastily setting up on the driveway and moving my car out the way I managed to get a photo just as the moon passed through a clearing in some branches - it's not great but a nice reminder of the event.

Lunar Occultation of Jupiter

Just before I went to bed I saw that Venus had also risen - really nice to see these three back in the sky together again!

I am such a moron!

Please tell me somebody else has done a similar thing in the past and got the dates mixed up?

It was only reading this thread (mostly past tense lol) that it dawned on me that I had missed it.

I am quite miffed as well as embarrassed and my wife is in hysterics over this :embarassed:

So what's the next major astronomical event to miss completely?

I am such a moron!

Please tell me somebody else has done a similar thing in the past and got the dates mixed up?

It was only reading this thread (mostly past tense lol) that it dawned on me that I had missed it.

I am quite miffed as well as embarrassed and my wife is in hysterics over this :embarassed:

So what's the next major astronomical event to miss completely?

I believe there is supposed to be a patch of clear sky over the UK very soon This will be an event NOT to miss!

Archived