SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

recommended 2" widefield ep for f4.7 dob

seen this on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15mm-Ultra-Wide-Angle-80-degree-2-telescope-eyepiece-/160842046840?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item2572eedd78

i know u get what u pay for but do u think this would be any good? looking for something in the 15mm to 25mm range for finding fuzzies. if this EP wouldnt be any good , can anyone recommend anything else which would be ok in the dob? thnx.

F/4.7 is a fast scope. Unless you like around 30% of your field of view being distorted stars I'd give 80 degree eyepieces that cost less than £100 a miss to be honest. An exception would be a 16mm UWAN / Nirvana which perform pretty well in fast scopes and can be bought used for around £100.

F/4.7 is a fast scope. Unless you like around 30% of your field of view being distorted stars I'd give 80 degree eyepieces that cost less than £100 a miss to be honest. An exception would be a 16mm UWAN / Nirvana which perform pretty well in fast scopes and can be bought used for around £100.

thats what i was going to say nagler for half price. there is one in our classified section for sale. daniel craig or andrew is selling it

It is very true you get what you pay for - but I must admit that I have found these EPs very good even in my f4.7 Dob. Here is a link to these Celestron eyepieces. - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-x-cel-lx-eyepiece.html - I have the 18mm which I use mainly on the PST. I say that these are not my main EPs as I have a selection of Ethos and Nagler EPs of which I prefer the 20mm Nagler to the 26mm Nagler to finding DSOs.

So if you can find a S/H Nagler that would be good but the Celestron is not a bad set to start with. You could buy the 25mm which with the 60 degree FOV is not a bad start at finding DSOs.

Mark

Why don't you consider a S/H 24 Pan. It has a nice 68* for and very good clarity. Also it has the advantage of being a 1 1/4" EP so you can move between it and higher powers without fiddling with adapters.

I'd prefer something 2", the reason being is I can scan the sky and spot the fuzzies in the 2", then quickly remove the ep and adapter and replace it with the 1.25" adapter and my binos. I think I might take a look at the 26mm panaview.

I think the seller of this is trying to kid you this is a TV.

Fast scopes like yours need a good quality EP's so I would not waste time and money buying cheap and chearful, because it won't be. You need to be looking at the better brands, Uwan, Ex Sc Meade, all will give very good results. However if you want a sharp field right to the edge, I have only tried TV and Pentax that will give you this. I will point out now my fastest scope is only F 5.2.

Alan.

Archived