Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200P 2" focuser woes.

Hi everyone.

I brought my 200P second hand a while back & it's a great scope. In the specs it says it can use 2" EP's but mine never came with the adapter. So I have been looking around & was told that one of these would fit;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150852035282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

However after its arrival today I'm still left head scratching as I'm unable to do so, Am I missing something?

Below are some pictures of the 1.25" & 2" adapters together.

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

The 2" adapter in the focuser ring that screws into the focuser tube.

IMG_2657.jpg

It looks like it should be held in place with just thumb screws as the only thread is on the inside of the tube (I'm guessing for filters)

IMG_2658.jpg

If anyone can help then it would be appreciated thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any chance of a pic of the focuser? That might help get an idea what's going on. I have both the 200P and 250PDS, and the focusers are very different.

It's the standard Skywatcher focuser with an after market dual speed fitted.

IMAG0582.jpg?t=1334175305

I took the 1.25 adapter out but it's slightly to big for the 2" adapter.

It's the standard Skywatcher focuser with an after market dual speed fitted.

I took the 1.25 adapter out but it's slightly to big for the 2" adapter.

I don't have that focuser, but I would have thought the 2" adapter simply replaces the 1.25" one in the focus holder.

I don't have any 2" eyepieces to check but both my scopes have 2" focusers fitted with 1.25" adapters. No other parts came with them so I have always assumed I could just remove the adapter and fit a 2" eyepiece directly into the focuser?? It doesn't seem logical to need an adapter to use a 2" eyepiece in a 2" focuser!

Edited by brucen

Normally the two inch adapter will fit like your 1.25" adapter does, looking at your first image it appears that the dovetails are not the same diameter, this would suggest that sky-watcher at some point have changed the adapters.

If I recall on my last scope the 1.25" adapter fitted into the 2" adapter which then fitted into the focuser. Can you see if that works, it is possible that the adapter on the end of the draw tube is not the standard one.

Edited by Earl

It doesn't seem logical to need an adapter to use a 2" eyepiece in a 2" focuser!

Actually, it does, because the standard 2" focuser has insufficient outward travel to get most of 2" eyepieces into focus, so in this case, the 2" adapter is more of an extender.

Edited by assasincz

Actually, it does, because the standard 2" focuser has insufficient outward travel to get most of 2" eyepieces into focus, so in this case, the 2" adapter is more of an extender.

You learn something new every day!

Normally the two inch adapter will fit like your 1.25" adapter does, looking at your first image it appears that the dovetails are not the same diameter, this would suggest that sky-watcher at some point have changed the adapters.

If I recall on my last scope the 1.25" adapter fitted into the 2" adapter which then fitted into the focuser. Can you see if that works, it is possible that the adapter on the end of the draw tube is not the standard one.

I've pretty much tried everything but it's not playing, I guess it might be possible that the adapter on the draw tube may not be standard. I've seen other 200P's but never really looked that closely at the focusers. The diameter of the chamfered edge on the 2" adapter is not only smaller but the angle is different too.

If anyone has a picture of a 200P focuser & 2" adapter they can post for me please that would be a great help.

I have seen 3 different focusers on stock 200p/ds the Rack and pinion, single speed crayford and dual speed like the current models, What i suspect is the adapter on the drawtube has not been consistent I think Bern at modern astronomy sells a replacement adapter for the end its a

2" Adapter with Compression Ring - for SkyWatcher Newtonians with M54 thread - £37

This will only fit though if your drawtube is M54 threaded.

Thanks Earl I've just measured across draw tube & the inner diameter is 54mm, although I can't measure the pitch of the thread so I'm guessing its an M54 thread. I'll contact modern astronomy & see what I can find out.

Hi Tich. Measure the outside diameter of the dovetail on your 1.25" adapter. If it is the same type as my Skywatcher 200 (which it appears to be) you should get a measurement of 57mm. If that is the case I bought the correct 2" item from Rother Valley Optics within the last couple of months. Adapter £25, P&P £4.

Hope this helps

Jim.

Edited by coulthamst

Hi everyone.

I brought my 200P second hand a while back & it's a great scope. In the specs it says it can use 2" EP's but mine never came with the adapter. So I have been looking around & was told that one of these would fit;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150852035282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

However after its arrival today I'm still left head scratching as I'm unable to do so, Am I missing something?

Below are some pictures of the 1.25" & 2" adapters together.

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

The 2" adapter in the focuser ring that screws into the focuser tube.

IMG_2657.jpg

It looks like it should be held in place with just thumb screws as the only thread is on the inside of the tube (I'm guessing for filters)

IMG_2658.jpg

If anyone can help then it would be appreciated thanks.

Yes it is just held in with the thumb screws on the draw tube collar

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt I think my draw tube collar may be different to yours so it looks like I may be on the hunt for one of those too unless I can find a 2" adaptor to fit mine.

IMG_2659.jpg

Who would think that getting a 2" adaptor for a Skywatcher would end up proving to be a bit of a nightmare.

• 3 years later...

I need the standard 2" adapter for my scope i bought one off astroboot which does not fit.

• SW 2" EP adaptor (57mm fit)
    New item: Sky Watcher 2" eyepiece extension adapter. With 57mm external diameter taper.
    £8.00 IN STOCK Buy

20160619_144222.jpg

Edited by wookie1965
insert image

• 4 years later...

Hi! Does anyone still got this 57mm adapter as above? I bought older 200p scope and it did not have it with it. There is no pieces for sale anymore. Is someone willing to sell me one if you have spare? Or does one know where to get one?.