SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Plymouth

springbok

Hi,

Just thought I'd check into the D&C section to say hello.

Very new to this cloud watching game. Only since Feb this year in fact. Yes hands up the "Brian Cox effect" in action :grin:

My wife has always had a passing interest in astronomy over the years. And my daughter has shown an interest as well.

After a trips to NLO, the planetarium at Bristol, and the planetarium in Cape Town whilst on holiday, we took the plunge and purchased an 8SE.

We were lucky and got some good sessions early on with it, but as we all know the weather has been against us since what May time really.

Started getting some AP kit together now as well. I have some decent Canon L glass from motorsport photography, so I thought I'd see if i could put it to use for AP.

We are booked in for the Star party on Exmoor in October, anyone else thinking of going?

Cheers for now,

Grahame.

Hiya Grahame

I'm just across the river in Torpoint.

Not going to the NLO astro fair but trying to swap shifts so I can attend star party at Exmoor. :)

Gotta keep positive about the weather, its bound the change in a minute and give us all a good run of clear nights surely?!

Hi All,

Yes that's the star party I mentioned.

It's a way off, but the clouds may have cleared by then :grin:

Richard, the 8SE has been great so far for visual. Size wise it's at the limit maybe for being a grab and go.

It's certainly OK if you are only setting up from a car park location, like Kit Hill mentioned in the other thread. I wouldn't want to lug it too far though.

Maybe we'll bump into each other one day and you can have a look see as it were.

Grahame.

Hi Matt,

I was torn between the 6SE and 8SE.

I finally decided to go as big as I could afford at the time. Aperture fever had struck :grin:

Do you have an Impreza by chance? username. I had a classic UK2000 turbo for 10 years, and loved every minute of it. Sad day when do to new job involving high motorway miles, I had swap her for a German oil burner :embarassed:

Hi All,

Yes that's the star party I mentioned.

It's a way off, but the clouds may have cleared by then :grin:

Richard, the 8SE has been great so far for visual. Size wise it's at the limit maybe for being a grab and go.

It's certainly OK if you are only setting up from a car park location, like Kit Hill mentioned in the other thread. I wouldn't want to lug it too far though.

Maybe we'll bump into each other one day and you can have a look see as it were.

Grahame.

I know what you mean as years OK iI had a n 8" Meade S/C fork mounted which I kept in the garage, and just getting it out to the garden was a stuggle, let alone struggling across a field in the dark with it!! :shocked: :shocked:

Hi Grahame and welcome to the D & C forum.

I live around the Liskeard area but I haven't checked out Kit Hill yet (on the to do list) so I'd be interested on what you think if you get there first.

As for the star party, my wife and I are still umming and ahhing over whether or not to go. Should come to a descision in a couple of weeks or so.

Luke

• 3 months later...

Hello to all,

Am in Plymouth also. Regular escapes to Dartmoor, Wembury and coast for evenings spent messing with my 'scopes. Nothing fancy but the nights under clear skies are worth the effort.

I missed the Cornwall party however. But am off to Exmoor next week for a treat if waether allows.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I am also from Plymouth and a newbie on this site.

Looking forward to clear skies! My father has a farm in southern Spain, clear dark skies most nights and fantastic views of the night sky in the summer months. Unfortunately we had a break in and my telescope got stolen, now looking for a replacement.

Can not get down there this year as I have to look after him and can not afford the flights , car hire etc...

Mark

Archived