SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary camera upgrade

Lee85

Up to now I've been using a modified Logitech webcam and I haven't been too impressed with it for some reason I can never get a clear image and the noise oh the noise is terrible. Soo I have been looking at other option and I have come across the dmk21 but has anyone had any experience with this and what's the main advantages of going for a 31 or 41. I know that the 21 does 60fps but I was lead to beleve that when taking planetary photos it's best to use around 15fps or am I wrong?

Take the new DMK21AU618 model. Old models of DMK21/31/41 aren't that good (and the 31/41 models are slower).

With dedicated planetary cameras framerate doesn't have any noticeable effect on frame quality. I shoot Jupiter at 60 FPS (as it's bright enough to allow so short exposures) and Saturn at 30 FPS. Fast framerate is good as it allows capturing multiple frames in short amount of time (or in my case - catch R,G,B and some luminance channels).

Remember you will need a RGB filter wheel/set to go with the mono DMK which adds to the hassle and expense. The colour dfk 21/dbk 21 is much simpler though the mono dmk does give you the option of imaging Venus with a UV filter.

A cheaper option would be the best webcam available the spc900.

Hi,

You should also take a look at another brand, which is not well known. The iNova-cameras are sold in France and Germany (http://www.astroshop...x-310kp/p,22833) and are less expensive than the Imaging Source cameras. The iNova PLA-Mx however has the same Sony ICX618ALA-chip as the DMK21-618.

I have bought one a couple of months ago and it comes with some great software. I use it for planetary imaging and as a guiding camera. Works great. It is also Ascom compatible, so no problems there...

Peter

I use a DMK21AU618 and love it. Yes it's a pain to use .... small chip means finding the planet (especially Mars) hard and being mono means using filters. The results however can be fantastic though. If you want a bit less hassle try the colour version. I agree with rik above, crank the fps up to get as many frames as possible before the planet "smudges" as it rotates.

You can also use it for white light solar imaging, but be warned the DMK21AU618 is very sensitive and I found I had to use it on it's shortest exposure setting.... or use another filter of some sort.

Archived