Sun with Baader filter with clear film and then without

mdstuart

Yes I made the filter with the clear film in place in error..

Here is the pic with the film in place from a few weeks ago..

post-1454-0-46322400-1342195366_thumb.jp

Now with the film removed today..

post-1454-0-75973100-1342195402_thumb.jp

I think you will agree its better..

Still tough to focus with the little scope with no fine focus or bratinov thing...

Mark

Hi guys, can you elaborate a bit more about this clear film? Is it on one side only or both and how easy is it to see and peel off?

I'm curious because I hadn't heard about this until reading a thread here the other day and I'm planning on putting my first filter cell together tomorrow.

Have you got enough shade Mark? I find that helps with focus more than anything.

Cheers,

Jamie

The clear film is on one side of the silver filter...Just make sure that you only put the silver film in your filter...THe film is obvious if you are looking for it. The filter should look the same both sides..like tin foil..

Mark

Single image is not a proof for solar imaging where 99% of the image quality is related to seeing - and it's usually a bad seeing due to hot air. You should not have to remove anything from the AstroSolar to get best possible image. You just need good seeing and good focus. And if you compare something - you need multiple checks to make it valid ;)

Single image is not a proof for solar imaging where 99% of the image quality is related to seeing - and it's usually a bad seeing due to hot air.

Totally agreed, any comparison of optics/sensors etc. has to be done side-by-side at the same time and conditions.

You should not have to remove anything from the AstroSolar to get best possible image.

You definitely need to remove the clear protective layer that just peels off (I did that every time after buying the film). Described e.g. here:

http://stargazerslou...e/#entry1015328

The second pic looks much better :grin: :grin:

Unfortunatley i have made the same mistake and am still trying to figure out how to remove the film without buying a new sheet :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

I managed to pinch a fold of plastic and puncture it with a needle which meant it could be peeled off without taking the filter apart.

You definitely need to remove the clear protective layer that just peels off (I did that every time after buying the film). Described e.g. here:

http://stargazerslou...e/#entry1015328

If it's with the AstroSolar. I only had it once and that wasn't much sticked to astrosolar. Rather a helper to roll the astrosolar and put it into a tube.

Archived