Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

I took the best ISS images captured during yesterdays transit and ran them through Registax 6 to produce this image

iss_wav.jpg

I think there are few artifacts present from the processing but I'm pleased with it :)

• Like 2

Blimey how cool is that?!! :Envy: Can you get the astonauts to wave next time?!!! :grin:

Blimey how cool is that?!! :Envy: Can you get the astonauts to wave next time?!!! :grin:

I was reading through Kev's other thread with this capture when it struck me that when the ISS goes overhead, it's actually closer to me than I am to Manchester. Which kind of puts things in perspective :)

Actually, it's also got me thinking...

If you've not seen Kev's original image, have a look, it's excellent. ISS against the backdrop of the Sun and sunspots in beautiful detail.

However, if the aim were to track the ISS itself, would it be possible with an EQ6, or would it be likely to tie itself in knots and throw a fit? I assume you'd have to give up at the point it wanted to do a meridian flip or it might launch itself into orbit.

James

I was reading through Kev's other thread with this capture when it struck me that when the ISS goes overhead, it's actually closer to me than I am to Manchester. Which kind of puts things in perspective :)

You certainly wouldn't want to see it at ground level belting up the M6 at 7-8 kilometres per second. It would probably have a white Transit van right on its butt :)

I think the EQ6 is capable of tracking the ISS in real time, there is software around that does some of the work for you.

• Like 1

Problem is the ISS doesn't follow an arc that can be tracked in RA.

There is tracking software out there , Thierry Legault has some magical program but I don't think it's available to all and sundry.

This guy's using a satellite tracking program too , haven't managed to find it yet though , makes things a little easier than aiming manually.... :p

Think i'll stick too manual point and shoot , way too complicated for me...... :p

Thanks for the link though.

Think i'll stick too manual point and shoot , way too complicated for me...... :p

Thanks for the link though.

I've just downloaded the two software packages and running the Ascom simulator all over the sky :) Follow the video and it's pretty straight forward BUT, and it is a big BUT, if you connect it to real hardware then be very sure you won't have a collision or cable issue during the tracking because it will be quick.

That's what i thought ,

When I have a go at it I get everything set up on HEQ5Pro to let me get the bits and pieces in line and camera settings sorted ,

Then I check with the charts in Heavens above and have a few practice sweeps ,

I generally then have to switch off the mount and re-position the tripod so as to allow a clean sweep avoiding collisions .

Very nice Kev.

I have used that tracking software once.. it tracked the ISS perfectly... my only problem, I messed up the setup somewhere along the line and I was a couple of degrees behind the ISS for the entire pass and no amount of messing would allow me to catch up.

That photo is awsome :Envy: :Envy: :Envy:

Ive never really tried to photograph satellites like the ISS but i will definetly give it a go now :grin:

You certainly wouldn't want to see it at ground level belting up the M6 at 7-8 kilometres per second. It would probably have a white Transit van right on its butt

Would be a good way to clear the traffic out of your way :grin::eek:

I think the EQ6 is capable of tracking the ISS in real time, there is software around that does some of the work for you.

Incredible image - is that with the 4" refractor?

With my 4" f11 PST stage 2 modded refractor and DMK21 camera

Fantastic job. It's stunning.

Problem is the ISS doesn't follow an arc that can be tracked in RA.

There is tracking software out there , Thierry Legault has some magical program but I don't think it's available to all and sundry.

This guy's using a satellite tracking program too , haven't managed to find it yet though , makes things a little easier than aiming manually.... :p

Satellit tracker is one program. Not sure if it's still available ,but I think it is...