Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crescent to Tulip in 12 steps

martin_h

After an unexpected clear(ish) night last night I managed to grab the last few subs to finish this one off.

It obviously needs lots more data, but things being as they are in the UK it may take a while!

The mosaic consists of 12 panels (4 across, 3 down) of 1 hour per panel (4x15 min subs) 12 hours of imaging which has taken 3 months to do!!!!

All panels imaged with the ED80 and QHY9 mono CCD in Ha. Captured with Nebulosity and guided with PHD (ST80/QHY5)

Processed with DSS and Photoshop, stitched with MS ICE.

Full-Mosaic_web.jpg

Martin, that is absolutely stunning. Love it.

I am interested in what a single pane looks like as obviously you can get away with much more when you have 12 of them! I can't help t hinking if I tried a mosaic, which I hope to do soon, I'll end up doing 5 hours on each pane!!!

Excellent work, so much to see in the image. You don't normally see mosaics going down to the Tulip. Nice to see a different perspective of Cygnus. So how did you stitch it all together?

Tom

Martin, that is absolutely stunning. Love it.

I am interested in what a single pane looks like as obviously you can get away with much more when you have 12 of them! I can't help t hinking if I tried a mosaic, which I hope to do soon, I'll end up doing 5 hours on each pane!!!

You will probably need a few hours on each panel, these are only 1 hour and are noisy as a noisy thing ! But given the imaging time we have had this summer I was loosing the will to live.

One panel (top right)

single-panel.jpg

Excellent work, so much to see in the image. You don't normally see mosaics going down to the Tulip. Nice to see a different perspective of Cygnus. So how did you stitch it all together?

Tom

I gave each panel a basic levels stretch to get a few stars showing and to get the black points roughly the same for each, then just dropped all 12 panels into MS ICE and let it get on with it, saved the merged mosaic and finished the processing as one image.

outstanding work, as you say trying to get a mosaic of this size in the UK just latley can take a rediculous amount of time, but looking at your time and effort that you have put into it, it was well worththe effort Top draw stuff well done.

Riotously glorious image, Martin. The unusual framing brings something new and the whole thing gives the feeling that space is a heaving, churning ocean. I love the sight of the Cresent just hanging there in three dimensions. This picture is an absolute inspiration. Bravo. Magaizines!

Olly

Archived