Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

my bst rattles!

Hey all, finally got a clear night tonight so decided to give my new BST 8mm a run and it rattles!

It only rattles with the eyepcup up, when its down it seems fine but I can't see through it properly.

I daren't unscrew it incase loads of lenses fall out but surely it shouldn't rattle? I've got a horrible feeling a lens is lose as, it could be my eyes, but I'm sure it goes very slightly blurry when the eyecup is up!

I got it from Alan on ebay.

Wow, that was quick.

Got a reply from Alan advising me exactly what the issue is and how to fix. He's even offered to replace if I mess it up.

Fantastic service!

If you and Alan are ok with it would you be willing to post the exact issue and relevant remedy?

There are a lot of BST users on this forum (inc. myself) and I am a complete newbie. Any knowledge on simple fixes is a bonus to me and maybe others too :grin:

Dave

• Like 1

If you and Alan are ok with it would you be willing to post the exact issue and relevant remedy?

There are a lot of BST users on this forum (inc. myself) and I am a complete newbie. Any knowledge on simple fixes is a bonus to me and maybe others too :grin:

Dave

Mine don't rattle but they may develop issues so I'd be interested to hear too.

I had the same thing. I tried Alan's instructions but the rattle came back - maybe i didn't use enough force when tightening it..

Alan sent me another one, I used the packaging from that one to send mine back. Alan even refunded the postage so excellent customer service. The new one is fine.

Permission given, here we go:

"Wind up the eyepiece and pull off the rubber eyecup. You will see a ring in the eyepiece with two holes in it - paperclip size. The ring may be loose but it is most likely the next ring down that is causing the rattle and will need tightening again with the paper clip. It is easier to remove the top ring to gain access to the bottom ring which you can tighten with the paper clip then replace the top ring and the eyecup and job done. Just mind the glass with the paper clip so don't over tighten it - just enough to gently grip the lens."

• Like 4

I have never had the same issue as you Spec-chum. I have had a loose barrel on my 5mm "Starguider" branded ep but thats about it.

Yes, having 5 BST's and one Starguider is annoying. Might put a wtb on astro buy/sell for a 5mm BST. :grin:

Dave

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 12/07/2012 at 14:17, Spec-Chum said:

Permission given, here we go:

"Wind up the eyepiece and pull off the rubber eyecup. You will see a ring in the eyepiece with two holes in it - paperclip size. The ring may be loose but it is most likely the next ring down that is causing the rattle and will need tightening again with the paper clip. It is easier to remove the top ring to gain access to the bottom ring which you can tighten with the paper clip then replace the top ring and the eyecup and job done. Just mind the glass with the paper clip so don't over tighten it - just enough to gently grip the lens."

The OP seems not to have been active on here for a while now, but I'm resurrecting this one as my Starguider 5mm has also developed a rattle. I hope someone can answer the question below.

I've unscrewed the nosepiece and that isn't the problem. But that exposes a lens in the body that rotates freely in either direction - it doesn't seem to be held - and it's that which is rattling.

So I assume that the problem is the same as with this thread - there's a ring under the eyecup that needs tightening. The advice suggests that if I fully screw up the eyecup, it can then be pulled off - but mine seems to be very reluctant, and I'm wondering if the design has changed.

Has anyone removed a Starguider eyecup?

I have some BST Starguiders bought new a few months ago. The rubber eyecup just pulls off. To do that it doesn’t need to be screwed up or down, eyecup pulls off at any position.

So why did I pull eyecups off new eyepieces with no issues?   Dunno…is the honest answer…..🙂

Ed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i have just removed and refitted the rubber cup on a bst starguider ed. just twist up the eyecup and gently prise of the rubber cup. it will slip back on ok just check the bottom edge sits back in.  a straight forward process. hope this helps.

• Like 1