Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please tell me I am not the only one

mdstuart

If I am not the only one perhaps this thread might need a warning..

I prepared my baader solar filter film and watched Venus go accross the disk but...

The view was not quite right. A little fuzzy despite my best efforts... :embarrassed:

Well yesterday weeks later I spotted my mistake....I had not removed the clingfilm like layer that comes with the solar film..!!

Now the sun spots are supper sharp... :smiley:

Oh well I have to wait 100 years for the next eclipse..!

So am I the only one???

Well it gave my wife something to laugh at.. So the story has a silver lining (after taking off the clear film)..(do you see what I did there)

Mark

oops, lol. was most concerned when it started to 'de-laminate', thought it might be a polarising layer so sandwiched it back down and hoped for the best...

Filter worked great though...

No Mark, you are not the only one.

(What's even worse is that I thought the cellophane wasn't to be removed... :icon_redface: )

I have to admit that I did the same thing............ :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Im still trying to figure out how to remove the film without breaking the filter :sad:

Im still trying to figure out how to remove the film without breaking the filter :sad:

Maybe try to "grab" the transparent film using e.g. a piece of adhesive tape and, once it's lifted a bit over the actual solar film, make a cut and rip/tear off the rest. Solar film should not be harmed by a little of accompanying stretching, it's actually very sturdy (I tried to tear an unused piece to bits once - quite difficult).

I was making my filter using double-sided tape to fix the film to the rings. I dropped the first ring on, turned the film over, and found I had a ring with a piece of clear plastic stuck neatly across it, and the solar film still laying loose on the table!

Oh dear, just checked the filter I made for my dismounted ETX105.......... I was wondering why I could not get a crisp focus of the transit.

I made one for my 6" relector a few years ago and used the remainder for this, totally forgot aout the clear film. :embarassed:

Matt

If your filter looks like shiny tin foil on both sides you are fine.

The film as it gets older and exposed to the sun degrades and starts to warp and gets ripples in it so becomes easy to notice..

I have now lost count of the number of folks who have been caught.

Anyone at Baader reading this please add a big note in your packaging..customer service and all that..you said we did type of approach..

Mark

P.S The film is not a mega issue as you can still see sunspots etc they are just not as sharp as they would be without it..

Yeah mine looks pretty shiny (were so technical :p ) I can see sunspots but i have always thought they looked a bit fuzzy. I think i will dig out the pack because i have most of it left, and see if its still in there, if it is, its most likely still on my scope bit too.

This got me too. As hard as I tried to find the clear film I couldn't see it. Only when I came to dismantle my homemade filter did I find it. When I reassembled the filter I used two pieces of sticky tape in the corner of a fresh piece of solar film to pull them apart.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived