Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

BargeGazer

The Stars Are Still There!

Here in mid-France we are suffering similar skies to those in the UK but a couple of nights ago the clouds cleared as the sun went down and I could take my brand new Skywatcher 127 Mak out for a trial.

Aligning the EQ3 GOTO mount was, after a couple of aborted attempts, an easy matter. Two button pushes and there was Saturn in all glory and Mars as a little round pimple! Even the Dumbell Nebula came directly into view. Two hours of good viewing in fair conditions. I cannot wait now for some really clear skies around 2am in the morning! (and an alarm clock!)

A question: I would like an eyepiece to give less magnification than the 25 included in the package as well as one where I can push the Mag a bit higher.

What is the longest eyepiece this scope will take - 32mm or even longer? Who makes a good mid-priced eyepiece at the moment?

I am truly amazed at this "Lounge". So popular, so helpful and so informative.

David

Skywatcher 127 Mak on an EQ3 GOTO with the basic 10mm and 25mm eyepieces and no other Goodies yet!

A 32mm is about as big as you can sensibly go.

40mm are available but the tube bit that goes in the scope acts as a stop and restricts the overall field of view and you end up almost exactly the same as the 32mm.

I am not aware of anyone making a WA eyepiece that is any real advantage over a 32mm plossl unless you go to the expensive eyepieces.

In effect 32mm is about as wide as you will sensibly use.

For higher 12mm, 15mm should do it, and be usable in the scope most of the time.

Not sure what is available to you in France, not sure if the ebay arm of Sky's the Limit mail there, Sky's Unlimited I think they trade under, or if you will have to go to TS for eyepieces.

The BST's or equivalent from TS are good, although a reasonable plossl should be fine in the Mak.

Edited by Capricorn

A good GSO/Revelation Plossl 32mm would be a good choice for you (1.25"), for a higher power I would go for an 8mm BST, as it gives 200x which is pushing towards atmospheric limitations (250x or so), 12mm and 15mm would probably get a lot of use too.

My 8 and 12mm's (BST's) see most use in my mak for the high power. I have a 6mm, but it's very rare that conditions make it very useable. If budget was limited I'd recommend the 12 as your higher power - it's always a good view through that. Never gone longer than 28mm so can't comment on that part...

You should be able to go to 77mm theoretically (with a dilated pupil of 7mm) with that particular scope, so I wouldn't really worry about getting big finder EPs, of course, the focuser may be an issue if you can't get 2" EPs in there.

32mm works nicely for me to get a (relatively) wide view. I use my BGO (Baader Genuine Ortho) eyepieces for high magnifications. I really like them, but they're getting harder to track down now and they're not at all suited if you need to wear glasses.

James

Can't see any stars where I live!! M almost forgetting what those faint little fuzzies look like!! :)

When you say stars, do you mean famous people ? +1 for the BST 8 mm, great ep for the money £47 from Skies the Limit works really well on planets. Low power ep dont know what budget you have. I have never really gone lower than 30mm so cant advise on that. The GSO's seem to get really good reviews.