Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Stargazing_Cliff

Jupiter HD webcam from Maplins

I got a Jupiter HD Webcam today

i have tested it out it works in daylight pretty nice also it actually does have some exposure controll :) thats even with IR Filter still on cam

so it be pretty cool without IR Filter when i mod it to telescope sometime.

it also is YUY2 video setting

and maximum reso is 1280 x 1024

I will test it with moon sometime and for laugh test with Jupiter ;)

Pretty nice cams from maplins

• Like 1

I hope that we wont have to wait too long for those tests. Complete overcast here - again.

• Like 1

Jupiter HD Cam now modded ready for test :)

jupitercam.jpg

Now modded simple to open just clicks open ;)

took out the original lens so now ready for test with me special lens i usually use first test cams with.

jupiter2.jpg

Now ready for testings along with some other cams on test

skycam2012.jpg

Will possibly mod jupiter cam as EP for me telescope sometime

firstly i test cams normally with original lens but this jupiter cam i have put wider view lens on it for now test see how well it copes with dark skies :)

all cams i have made so they pick up infrared as all cams dont have IR Filter.

I got a Jupiter HD Webcam today

i have tested it out it works in daylight pretty nice also it actually does have some exposure controll :) thats even with IR Filter still on cam

so it be pretty cool without IR Filter when i mod it to telescope sometime.

it also is YUY2 video setting

and maximum reso is 1280 x 1024

I will test it with moon sometime and for laugh test with Jupiter ;)

Pretty nice cams from maplins

That is interesting.

What settings are available using Sharpcap? How about the FPS ?

May you make a screenshot showing all the settings available through Sharpcap?

Who knows it might be a useful planetary cam.

For the highest resoulutions the frame rate is 9 FPS in sharp cap

My screen doesnt show full screen like.

jupiterhigh1.jpg

now for normal 640 x 480

yes 30 FPS sharpcap shows.

Here is screen capture.

JUPITERCAP1.jpg

Edited by Stargazing_Cliff
  • Like 1

I think it's pretty nice cam very very easy to mod the lens just screws out easy and holder is just held by simple glue that just peels off easy

i clipped out the orange led no need for that orange bright led.

case just all clips open with flat screw driver. and easy to push case all back and be easy to add bit plastic tubing for your telescope.

and this cam is very very light weight.

will be ideal planetary cam Jupiter :)

not bad for 15 pounds. quick and easy mod.

So it has gamma and exposure settings but no gain......not holding my breath for Planetary with that cam :smiley:

So it has gamma and exposure settings but no gain......not holding my breath for Planetary with that cam smiley.gif

Im going to check all my cams see which ones have the gain control i never thought that one before.

what does gain control do like ?

Im going to check all my cams see which ones have the gain control i never thought that one before.

what does gain control do like ?

Generally gain is used to control the Planet brightness with either zero or say 10-20% gamma as too much gamma loses contrast or produces the dreaded onion rings on the Planet disk image. After using the spc900 and before purchasing a dfk imaging source camera I tried a couple of cheap usb 2 webcams purely for the 30fps rate. One of these had only gamma and exposure controls with no gain. Light sensitivity seemed very good when imaging Saturn but the resulting stacked image had horrendous onion rings because of having to use the gamma control to adjust brightness.

• Like 1

Generally gain is used to control the Planet brightness with either zero or say 10-20% gamma as too much gamma loses contrast or produces the dreaded onion rings on the Planet disk image. After using the spc900 and before purchasing a dfk imaging source camera I tried a couple of cheap usb 2 webcams purely for the 30fps rate. One of these had only gamma and exposure controls with no gain. Light sensitivity seemed very good when imaging Saturn but the resulting stacked image had horrendous onion rings because of having to use the gamma control to adjust brightness.

Ah rite i have to try that move gain control when viewing planet thanks for that tip.

will have to try that with me cams that have the gain control setting.

I have tested that cam with night sky using me cam testing lens :)

shows some cloud glow so it possibly be great for brighter objects that need less exposure will have to test on moon sometime so i'll probably now make bit tubing for cam test on telescope with moon once it comes in field of view and clouds shifted.

or could just use as day skycam infrared.

as you can see the orange glow from clouds. so i rekon be ideal for moon.

cloudglow1jupiter.jpg

I just noticed using astrocapture in linux does have gain control slider showing up interesting Hmm

i'm bit confused now what software's best sharpcap windows or astrocapture windows and linux.

I just noticed using astrocapture in linux does have gain control slider showing up interesting Hmm

i'm bit confused now what software's best sharpcap windows or astrocapture windows and linux.

It could be that the linux one is just applying a "virtual" gain to the output image (basically, the same as if you would save

the image as it is and then try to modify gain and exposure afterwards, without the image containing the right "photons data"

to actually improve the image.

On Mac I have tried a software that would give me any kind of control on any type of webcam, however, the results were a disaster,

because basically the webcam sensor is still producing an overexposed washed out image and the capture software will only

be doing some kind of "postprocessing". Said that, I haven't been using Linux for several months now and I never tried that specific software,

it might even turn out that some Linux Kernel modules, or the software itself, do actually have access to those camera settings

the same way that sharpcap would.

You can try out those settings on bright objects during the day. You may make more experiments and play around even with

bright objects at home, like bulbs or maybe do some solar imaging with the solar filter, and make a comparison of the 2 softwares.

Clear Skies

• Like 1

It could be that the linux one is just applying a "virtual" gain to the output image (basically, the same as if you would save

the image as it is and then try to modify gain and exposure afterwards, without the image containing the right "photons data"

to actually improve the image.

On Mac I have tried a software that would give me any kind of control on any type of webcam, however, the results were a disaster,

because basically the webcam sensor is still producing an overexposed washed out image and the capture software will only

be doing some kind of "postprocessing". Said that, I haven't been using Linux for several months now and I never tried that specific software,

it might even turn out that some Linux Kernel modules, or the software itself, do actually have access to those camera settings

the same way that sharpcap would.

You can try out those settings on bright objects during the day. You may make more experiments and play around even with

bright objects at home, like bulbs or maybe do some solar imaging with the solar filter, and make a comparison of the 2 softwares.

Clear Skies

Will try that test on few day objects shall mod bit tubing to cam one day for now cam is just as skycam.

Jupiter cam is now modded as EP :)

and it's pretty awesome.

Viewed local chimney must be about 1000 or more meters away. looking good cam. even see see reflections from metal on chimey ;)

chinmey1.jpg

Roseberry topping from me side window :)

roseberytopping3.jpg

See some people climbing up lol

roseberytopping6.jpg

Quick solar viewing using me newt

sun1.jpg

Sun spots

sunspot2.jpg

Some wind thing powering some hospital

wind%20thing.jpg

• Like 1

I said i'll test this Jupiter HD Cam with Jupiter for laugh :)

and i'm quite amazed with it's out come pretty awesome.

Jupiter%20and%20moons.jpg

Moon :)

moon%20jupiter%20cam1.jpg

moon%20jupiter%20cam4.jpg

moonzoomed2.jpg

• Like 1

Jupiter still looks like a bit overexposed. Is it possible to make it less exposed and get some details / bands ? (Maybe the moons will disappear then :D )

• Like 1

I'll try it next time i view Jupiter i try see if i can change exp see if see any bands.

i know i have other cam that did see 2 little bands once mite try that cam also thats the hercules wii cam :)

• Like 1