Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Trevor

The Big Bang.

I have been trying to fully understand the theory of the “big bang” what is space expanding into, what is past the edge of space for it to expand into.

Surely there must be something for it to expand into or it would not be able to expand, my brain hurts. :?

As I understand (?) it, The universe creates its own space as it expands. There is nothing beyond for it to expand "into."

I agree with Warthog. I don't think there is anything 'beyond' space. Also I thought that entropy will do for the universe in the end anyway. Mind you, didn't someone once say that if you think you understand cosmology you probably don't.

I am in the process of reading 'The Goldilocks Enigma' by Paul Davies. I need a lie down after every chapter (no, actually, every paragraph).

Geoff

A better question might be asked like, was the space everything is expanding through, contained in the singularity that preceded the explosion.

Or did it come into existence nano seconds prior to the bang, and therefore expand at a rate sufficient to accommodate the rapidly expanding firmament. Or. did space exist independently, in which case, if the former is the scenario, then space itself is finite, and my one day be identifiable as such. If we can build the instruments to catch up.

Now, anyone with two pennyworth of grey matter, will realize from reading this, that I am the last person on earth to ask about the big bang. The theoreticians of the world are getting headaches over it Trevor, so I would not dwell on it too much.

I still can't conceive of so much being contained in a nothingness, and then released with so much energy as to create all we see.

It is beyond human comprehension. They can throw all the theories they like at this one, I don't think they will get lucky personally.

But then, I have always been a doubting Thomas.

Ron. :wink:

Perhaps some things, will always remian beyond our human understanding and insight.

The "true" secrets of the Universe may be hidden to us forever.

I got a headache just reading these posts and they're only about our universe! Thank heavens :wink: nobody mentioned the 'Multiverse'!...... Doh!

CW

What I've never got my thick head round is - if there was nothing before the bang - what was it that went bang?

I blame the wiring....

:wink:

then you can move straight on to membrane theory which if i remember states that there are many universes parallel to each other like layers of tissue paper. they do not touch but undulate up and down and when they do meet there is another big bang and a "new layer" or universe is created in between the membrane's that touched.

ow, embolism

Everything has a beginning right, so what was before the big bang? what was before that? and before that? etc i don't think we'll ever understand! :wink:

Everything has a beginning right,

Err,well no actually. Despite what Buzz Lightyear may say! If something is finite it has a beginning and an end but if it is infinite it has neither. :shock:

CW

Everything has a beginning right, so what was before the big bang? what was before that? and before that? etc i don't think we'll ever understand! :wink:

No matter what, you get back to the problem of something being created from nothing. However, we are undoubtedly here, through cogito ergo sum, so something has come out of nothing, no matter how you toss the dice.

It is possible, I suppose, that the universe balances itself out in particle-antiparticle pairs, and I read that the balance to the mass of matter in the universe may be in the potential of gravitational energy. I have no f*****g idea what that means.

I wonder if, at the time of the BB. all the matter went into one universe, and the antimatter into another.

I think Douglas Adams had the right idea when he coined the term WSOGMM (Whole Sort Of General Mish Mash) to describe parallel universes in creation in his book "Mostly Harmless". :grin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Sort_of_General_Mish_Mash

This makes everything totally clear :wink::D:lol:

The only slight drawback with WSOGMM theory is that it's totally fictional - or as Douglas would say "a load of fetid dingos kidneys"

John

No matter what, you get back to the problem of something being created from nothing.

My wife doesn't find that a problem. She makes something out of nothing all the time!

CW

Easiest way to describe the universe expanding is to imagine a balloon half blown up, put some dots on it with a pen then begin to blow it up slowley, you will notice that the dots begin to look as if they are moving apart, when infact they are actually in the same place as you originally drew them in, the expansion is creating space. The balloon as such could be blown up forever, but we know that each balloon has a limit, what our limit is who knows, as for what happened prior to the big bang start, pfft no one will ever find out it is as easy as that.

Can I add some string into this universe? Wonderful stuff string, not only can you tie up parcels with it, its the bee's knees for adding a few extra dimensions.

Easiest way to describe the universe expanding is to imagine a balloon half blown up, put some dots on it with a pen then begin to blow it up slowley, you will notice that the dots begin to look as if they are moving apart, when infact they are actually in the same place as you originally drew them in, the expansion is creating space. The balloon as such could be blown up forever, but we know that each balloon has a limit, what our limit is who knows, as for what happened prior to the big bang start, pfft no one will ever find out it is as easy as that.

The only problem with the balloon example is that we are seeing 'the expansion of the universe' from the outside and there is no outside! It illustrates how space between objects is widened as each moves away from the other but it cannot show what they are moving into/through.

If the Universe is infinite how can it be expanding and if it's finite what lays beyond? Thats the conundrum! :insects1:

CW

I tried that, but the pen burst the balloon.

Besides, what happens if God lets go of the neck of the balloon? Do we end up flip-flopping about Space-time, ending up as a limp, flaccid two dimensional thingy with some very small dots on it? And get eaten by God's doG?

I tried that, but the pen burst the balloon.

Besides, what happens if God lets go of the neck of the balloon? Do we end up flip-flopping about Space-time, ending up as a limp, flaccid two dimensional thingy with some very small dots on it? And get eaten by God's doG?

The Universe as potential dog food.....and why not? Good as any other theory. Presumable there will be another Big Bang when, in due course, the dog passes the remains of it's meal in the usual way.

A universe reborn or just 'S**t Happens'?

CW

I really hate explaining cosmology, since it's all theroetical anyway. There have been generations of physicists that have come up with a bunch of "stuff" that happens to fit the observations and vice versa, but not much as far as solid proof. One thing I'm fairly sure of though; strings aint part of it. Too many loop holes, (pun partially intended.)

strings aint part of it.

God doesn't play cat's cradle with the universe?

Guess the “Big Bang” can be likened to; why is it that no matter what colour bubble bath you use the bubbles are always white, Guess it will never be fully understood.

Moving on to redshift now.

reading a few different books on cosmology, all agree its just weird. bring back the good old days when the earth was flat.