Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Introduction to Astronomy Course

NLO

THE Fourth COURSE FOR THE YEAR.

September 15th 2012

book here

£20 for adults, £10 for children and £15 for NLO members

The course tutors will be drawn from members of the society, who are unpaid volunteers.

Course fees are used to maintain and expand the observatory buildings and facilities.

There are toilets, with disabled access, and free parking on site.

The building will be open from 9:45am.

10.10 welcome and general introduction

10.15 am Looking at the Night Sky. The planetarium will be used to demonstrate the interesting objects which can be seen in the night sky.

11.00 am Using Star Maps. A talk on how to use the star maps which can be found on software, the internet and in newspapers, and the use of a planisphere.

11.45 am Coffee/tea break.

12.00 pm The Planets. A description of the planets and a glimpse into our current understanding of planetary science.

12.45pm Lunch. There are no catering facilities at the NLO but there is a public picnic area in the grounds and the room inside for those who wish to bring their own packed lunch. Tea and coffee will be available.

1.45pm The Sun and the Moon. How to observe the Sun and the Moon safely.

2.30 pm Stars, Nebulae and Galaxies. A brief description of stars and 'fuzzy' objects as seen by eye and by amateur and professional equipment.

3.15 pm Tea 3.30pm Telescopes. A discussions of the types of telescopes and binoculars used by professionals and amateurs, including basic astrophotography.

4.15pm Tours of the Observatory. See the historic and modern telescopes and displays housed at the observatory.

7.30pm Evening use of the telescopes:

The Observatory will be open from 7.30pm this evening . Those attending the course today are very welcome to join us for viewing through the telescopes tonight or alternatively to come along to one of our forthcoming open nights free of charge.

Please be aware that the telescope domes are unheated, so warm clothing is essential for this part of the day, and for open evenings. We look forward to meeting you and answering your questions.

I do wish you were a little closer to me - or rather I lived a little closer to NLO :)

I do hope that on the odd occasion SGL might be mention as a resource for your guests?

Ant

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived