SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What happens post Polar Alignment?

I think I have sussed out how to do a polar alignment having read numerous ways, some easier to understand than others.

My question is about after the alignment.

If i carry out the alignment using polaris etc and the alignment scope built into the mount, then the scope and mount are pointing in a specific direction. How then do i look at something to the south without losing the alignment? Or is that the point? Polar alignment is a reference point to then find something from a RA Dec set of coordinates.

Is polar alignment a starting point to get the dials in the correct position to then navigate around?

The polar alignment lines up the Right Ascension Axis. This then stays fixed in place, and the telescope rotates around that RA axis and the perpendicular Declination Axis.

Once you align the polar axis up with Polaris, this doesn't move. It stays pointing at Polaris, when you turn and point the scope in RA and Dec, the polar axis is still pointing at Polaris. This is the reason it is called the polar axis.

As mentioned, this is for alignment of the mount, not the scope.

Once you have correct alignment it will make it so much easier to find objects with charts (GOTO or whatever) and the scope can be guided with only small changes to the RA control. SHould you have a motor drive, the scope will follow the object for ages (depending on alignment) and it makes the whole experience so much more.

Why don't I have a pole star in Australia?

ARGHHH..

If you move the mount however - you'll have to redo the polar alignment. Once done yyou just loosen the RA and Dec clutches to move your scope around - it'll feel wierd at first but you'll soon get accustomed to it. Check out any of the numerous videos on the net :)

Archived