Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

should i get the NEQ6

Daniel-K

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it pales into insignificance compared to the next step up from the NEQ6.

Absolutely right. Anything past the NEQ6 is getting into silly money and well out of the range of most amateurs.

If you think about it, a grand for a mount that should last you quite a few years is a bargain.

Get the EQ6 - I liked mine so much I bought another one!

If you're ever thinking of doing any heavy payload stuff 8" reflector+ then you'll need the bigger mount. I already plotting to hang a 20Kg 12" Newt off mine.......

Especially compared to a standard NEQ6 Pro and a NEQ6 Pro with a DIY belt drive conversion. The body does look very nice, there's no denying it, but you can't see it in the dark and it doesn't appear to offer any radical improvements over the NEQ6 in that respect. Were I in the market I'd like to have a clear idea of what I was getting for my extra £3k.

Were I to redesign the NEQ6 body, the one thing I'd absolutely throw out is the alt adjustment. If there's any part of it that really needs to go in the bin, that's it.

James

There's some more pictures of the mount on Avalons website, but to me it looks like the same kind of north and south Alt adjustment but with knobs. Can't see under the hood of course, but perhaps they discuss it in the description ... my Italians not so good! :D

http://www.avalon-instruments.com/montature-linear-fast-reverse.html

Looks to me like it's most of a NEQ6 Pro in a new body with a belt drive conversion?

I thought the EQ6 belt drive conversion kept the worm. The avalon blurb sort of implies they have done away with it altogether.

NigelM

my Italians not so good! :D

Google's isn't too bad though :) They don't seem to say much else about the mount though. From the images it looks like it has some fairly chunky roller bearings in, but it looks to me like they've kept the same alt-adjustment mechanism too.

James

Were I in the market I'd like to have a clear idea of what I was getting for my extra £3k.
The "low-end" mount market is a bit strange. In the 0 - £4k range there's very few mounts that will touch the NEQ6 for carrying capacity and (when guided) accuracy.

A lot of stuff in that bracket looks nicer and can even claim to be "higher quality" builds, but if you're looking for ugly-but-usable then until you get to the Losmandy G11-Gemini, there's not a lot of competition.

The biggest advantage the Avalon Linear has is that the manufacturer quotes a PE figure and some specific, workable scope combo's - most of the cheapies are shy on those points.

Someone asked how often do we say 'never again' :-D More than once.....

In fact only just last week..... But now I've gone and done it again....

Watch this space!

Everyone hates a tease, you know :)

James

I am in a similar quandary. For portability, the HEQ5 ticks the boxes (I would be using it for imaging with the 80mm F/6), but that is not really future proof against wanting to do visual through a C11, OMC-300, or Meade 12"ACF. An EQ6 would do, but is very heavy. The iOptron iEQ45 is interesting in that respect, but I could buy an HEQ5 and an NEQ6 for that money.

Hi,

I have both HEQ5 and NEQ6, both work well within their weights and I think both represent good value for money. However, if you can afford it I would say go for the EQ6, you'll get more mileage out of it in the long run, and it will cope with greater payloads if you want to upgrade scopes in the future. I use my NEQ6 in combination with a MN190, and will be trying out a 10" SCT if the skies ever clear. I see the NEQ6 as being my beast of burden for many years to come.

Hope this helps, Herrman

Archived