Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can someone explain what I saw tonight ?

Went out just before 9pm tonight to check out sky conditions. I saw a very bright Orange light go straight from North to South (slightly East in relation to the zenith). I like to consider myself familiar with most phenomenon in the sky but this has totally flummoxed me for a couple of reasons..

-It wasn't flashing, just bright orange and I could hear no noise at all (so not a plane)

-It dimmed and brightened as faint cloud got in the way (so it had to be quite high up).

-Was traveling faster than the ISS would (passed the whole sky in about 1 to 2 minutes max)

It looked the same brightness as a nearby street light (so very bright).

About 2 to 3 mins later I saw another one exactly the same following the same direction. Then 2 to 3 mins after that yet another one.

My viewing location is Bridgwater 51.13N 2.99 W. Did anyone else see them ? Or can anyone explain what it could be ? I'm going crazy here. :? :?

Vega

The only thing I've ever seen that comes close to your description Matt is the shuttle reentering the atmosphere back in 1996 (I was in Canada at the time) with the heat of reentry causing an orange glow. A few years ago I'd have thought it might have been an SR-71 Blackbird as those things glowed orange when at their highest speed (Mach 3 ish) and the sonic boom they cause might have not occured for some time after they had passed as they operate at 70,000 ft (I think). Since they've allegedly been retired it can't be them though. Maybe its that Aurora spyplane that so loved by conspiracy theorists everywhere? :D

James

I have simulated time through a few satellite tracking programes and between 20.30 and 22.00 there are no visible satellites passing from North to South, plenty going in the oppsite directions. However, at 21:58 the satellite CZ-4B passes in the direction you mention but is going south to north. This is a chinese ship

"The PRC launched its first satellite, known as Dong Fang Hong 1 ("the East is Red"), to Earth orbit on its own Long March space rocket on April 24, 1970, becoming the fifth nation to achieve independent launch capability. The Shenzhou spacecraft is also launched on the Long March rocket. The maximum payload for LEO is 9200 kg (CZ-2F), the maximum payload for GTO is 5200 kg (CZ-3B). The LM-5 variant will offer more payload in the future.

Cannot truly say this was it but with the time and date it is the closest one there.

At 21:01 Iridium 73 was in the vicinity as well.

Archived