Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Welcome to the NLO

NLO

The Norman Lockyer Observatory has been in Sidmouth since 1912, just after Sir Norman retired from the Solar Physics Observatory in Kensington. He was very keen on continuing his work and continuing to learn more about stars and our universe.

Today we continue his work. The Observatory has a Radio Group, a History group and a Met group, as well as the Astronomy Group. The Astronomy Group meets every Friday throughtout the year from 7:30. Because of growth in numbers we have recently divided into sections so people have the opportunity of learning more about specific interests. We have an observsers section, an imagers section, a space cadet section (for those under 16), a SPAM section (solar, planetary and meteor detection), and a spectroscopy section.

Throughout the year we have a variety of open evenings, courses to introduce people to astronomy and imaging and special events including the south west astronomy fair. If you have any questions about any of the events please feel free to ask or check out our website which has more information - www.normanlockyer.com

Kate

Edited by NLO

Will there be postings here about forthcoming events? It would be great to have reminders about what's going on as I can be a bit, well, let's say polite people call me absent-minded :)

(And as I read the first posting, just for one fleeting moment, I thought the "Space Cadet" section was going to be for people who are a bit, y'know, "out there" :)

James

Edited by JamesF

Shame you couldn't stay for awhile on the 11th.

We have a selection of open events during August which i will put up soon, but we are open on wednesday 1st and 8th from 2:30.

Kate

Shame you couldn't stay for awhile on the 11th.

We have a selection of open events during August which i will put up soon, but we are open on wednesday 1st and 8th from 2:30.

Kate

I'll be arriving at 5:00 ish on the Wednesday, but I'll be setting up a tent and everything. Will the observatory only be open on the 1st and the 8th? Will it be for the whole day and night?

Is there any kind of "programme of events" for Saturday? Some of it might well be interesting to the children, but I think a talk about helium, whilst interesting for a while, might prove a bit of a challenge for them.

James

Is there any kind of "programme of events" for Saturday? Some of it might well be interesting to the children, but I think a talk about helium, whilst interesting for a while, might prove a bit of a challenge for them.

The planetarium will be child friendly, the talk is not usually that heavy and only last 25 - 30 minutes, as we get a very varied audience. If it is clear we are hoping to have our solar toast maker outside as well as some other solar items, and the members PSt's and telescopes.

Kate

Can you book for the Astrofair via a phone numbr or does it have to be by post?

Just getting a bit late now and it might save a few days, especially as it wil probably take me a couple more days to actually get round to it all.

Edited by Capricorn