Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

One Eyepiece

Someone let me borrow their Pentax XF Zoom a while back. It was stunning. He thought it was on a par with his Baader Orthos for sharpness, i can't verify that claim. But it was sharper than my ES 82 Series eyepieces. And it was so well built. One eyepiece, i could definitely get by with just that one. So my vote is the Pentax XF 6.5-19.5 Zoom.

+1 I'd love the Pentax :rolleyes:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rikm has looked through an ethos and didn't like what he saw. Interesting. So the first black mark.

I certainly wouldn't say that there was anything wrong with it; Ethos are superb eyepieces by any measure you care to apply. I just find that my brain sees things in relation to the field of view rather than actual magnification. I also wear glasses when observing to correct both prescription and slight astigmatism, so eyerelief is a consideration. At this quality level it all comes down to personal preference really.

Michael, in the Netherlands that is 3 eyepieces not one.

Rikm I was just re acting to a comment from one member who said he had never know anyone that looked into a Ethos and didn't want one, then I came to your post. It is as you say all personal preference. This thread was only a bit of fun.

John,

Secondhand market in Bulgaria, there isn't one. This is one reason I have so many eyepieces, I need to sell some. The 26mm Series 5000 that came with the LX 200 is still in it's box, I dont think I have ever used it as I bought the scope and a full set of Meade SWA. Come to think of it I don't even know where it is.

Knobby, That is 3 members that have gone for your choice, must be a great quality eyepiece, then it's Pentax

Alan.

I was considering the Pentax XF zoom, but the eye relief is not good enough. I would settle for the Zeiss 6.7-25.1mm zoom:

http://www.apm-telescopes.net/de/Okulare/Zoom-Okulare/Zeiss-Zoom-Okular-6.7-25.1-mm1

or the Leica aspherical.

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/leica-zoomokular-vario-okular-17.8-8.9mm-asph._proinfo_65509.html

After all, if you have just one EP, you can spend more than on a box full ;)

Are you sure that is your final choice. My wife had one of these zooms delivered to her by accident. She used to sell Zeiss sports optics. sadly she send it back before I could get my grubby little paws on it. I bet it was good.

Alan.

Zoom ep's have never really interested me but I would make an exception in the case of that Zeiss. I would imagine its a fine piece of kit! I reckon you should go for one of those Alan and report your findings back here in due course ;-)

Zoom ep's have never really interested me but I would make an exception in the case of that Zeiss. I would imagine its a fine piece of kit! I reckon you should go for one of those Alan and report your findings back here in due course ;-)

Maybe I should bite that bullet. I started it after all. I could tell the missus it saves space in the car: Just the Zeiss and a Nagler 31, instead of the whole EP kit.

I've just come in from a decent viewing session and I have to change my favourite eyepiece from a tv plossl 25mm to an ethos 13mm. This thing is amazing and I was actually angry that the sun is coming up.

Time to get some sleep.

Mr Moff,

That I believe puts 13mm Ethos back out in front. Good to hear the weather is picking up. I didn't have high hopes for last night due to the heat. I was able to see all of Scorpious right down to the sting, rare in summer. Yes we have loads of clear sky but you tend to get a heat haze that stops you seeing so low down.

Michael,

The Zeiss zoom is not really my cup of tea, I have one zoom and that is the Antares 8mm-5mm, this has 82 degree FOV acoss the full range. Only down side is a bit of colour towards the edges. Other than that it is top draw.

Alan

The Antares Speers-Waler zoom has an excellent reputation. However, it covers only planetary viewing in my F/10 scope. The Zeiss lacks something in FOV, but covers most of the useful focal lengths, yielding magnifications from 80x to just over 300x. I could live with limited FOV for decades, but I could not live without a large range of magnifications.

Michael,

I wouldn't mind betting the Zeiss is altogether a better eyepiece, they have made some great optics over the years, however I was disappointed with many of their Bino's which I have had a chance to try, for me they were no better than my Opitrons at a third of the price. I tried one pair that were 3000 Euros and they were only 10X42, very expensive.

I just see Astronomics are giving away 3 Ethos eyepieces at the opening of their new shop, question is is it worth the cost of the flight to be there, I think not.

That's an interesting first call from Melsmore went for a special measurement eyepiece and then had a change of mind.

Well last night we had some rain thank goodness, tomorrow we have been promised 40 plus, that's 104 in old money

Alan.

difficult choice. I think if it was only one then it would be a 17mm Ethos. in my scopes this would provide enough magnification to make items reveal detail (in my 16" f4 (108x - FOV 0.92 deg) and 6" f11 (94x) - FOV 1.06 deg) and also act as a wide field (in my 6" f5 (44x - FOV 2.27 deg).

I wish that you'd not asked that now.........

WOW! this ep is only like £600+!!!!! holy cow!!! lol out of my lens i have got i would choose to keep my 10mm skywatcher (about £15 lol) only used my stock scopes ep's i would love to be able to afford one of these ethos's!!! :) im on the hunt for a new lens now but its soo hard to choose :(

WOW! this ep is only like £600+!!!!! holy cow!!! lol out of my lens i have got i would choose to keep my 10mm skywatcher (about £15 lol) only used my stock scopes ep's i would love to be able to afford one of these ethos's!!! :) im on the hunt for a new lens now but its soo hard to choose :(

well, I could certainly not afford a new one and would have to sell at least two eyepieces to fund a used one.

For that money you can almost buy a APM telescope.

With me I like one side of the eye piece to the other to be sharp, I mean as sharp as the center. As far as I can see only Tele-Vue offer this. I have many Meade Ep's SWa and UWA and whilst good they are not as good as the advertising states. Why advertise a 68 degree field if only 85% of it is sharp and in focus, maybe it's my eyes but to me the edges are not sharp, with TV the whole field is sharp.

Alan.

Archived