Narrowband

One Eyepiece

Something like this many well have been done before but what the hell. Now I like eyepiecs I have too many. If you could only have one eyepiece what would that eyepiece be and why?

My eyepiece of choice would be Tele-Vus 20mm Nagler, I like it above all others because it is so good in every department.

I may be tempted to buy the most voted for if I don't already have it.

Alan.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

difficult choice. I think if it was only one then it would be a 17mm Ethos. in my scopes this would provide enough magnification to make items reveal detail (in my 16" f4 (108x - FOV 0.92 deg) and 6" f11 (94x) - FOV 1.06 deg) and also act as a wide field (in my 6" f5 (44x - FOV 2.27 deg).

I wish that you'd not asked that now.........

Am I allowed one for each of my scopes, as they would would all benefit from different EPs? No, OK, I think I would have to go with my 17mm Nagler Type 4. But to be honest, I could quite happily choose any of my big green and black EPs.

If I could only have one EP then I'd agree with Shane and go for a 17mm Ethos.

I can quite happily leave my 13mm Ethos in all night but I think the 17mm would make things slightly easier finding targets and for bigger nebula.

Someone let me borrow their Pentax XF Zoom a while back. It was stunning. He thought it was on a par with his Baader Orthos for sharpness, i can't verify that claim. But it was sharper than my ES 82 Series eyepieces. And it was so well built. One eyepiece, i could definitely get by with just that one. So my vote is the Pentax XF 6.5-19.5 Zoom.

Fredster is cheating a bit, I like that man. I am very suprised with the tight focal range so far with the exception of Fredster picking a zoom which is still in range of the others. All have gone for an eypiece between

13mm and 20mm. It is begining to make me wonder why all scopes seem to come with a 26mm or so.

Looks like I need 13mm Ethos at the moment.

Also many are going for Tele-Vue, 8 out of 10 cats can't be wrong

Alan.

if I still had a 12" dob, I'd definitely stick with the 13mm Ethos. the focal length of the 16" I have now just suits a 17mm slightly better but unless someone wants to do a straight swap with my 13mm it's still a great eyepiece in all respects (other than lunar where I prefer simpler glass).

Of the eyepieces I posess my 16mm WO UWAN woud be the one I'd keep as it works so well in all my scopes (I have an 8mm ethos, but I don't find that nearly so good to use)

Helen

Pentax XW 10 would be the one I'd keep. I also have a 14mm XW but I prefer the slightly darker backgound and higher mag of the 10mm. It works well in all my scopes. Giving 120x in my 250PX and Phenix 127, 75x in my 150P and 40x in my ST80.

Of the eyepieces I posess my 16mm WO UWAN woud be the one I'd keep as it works so well in all my scopes (I have an 8mm ethos, but I don't find that nearly so good to use)

Helen

Wow, that's high praise indeed for the Uwan Helen! I would agree with you though, they are excellent ep's. I had the 28mm Uwan & the 7mm Nirvana and the 28mm in particular was a stonking eyepiece, the only eyepiece I ever regret selling in fact! Its a shame there aren't a few more focal lengths in the range though.

Helen

same as me helen but listed differently lol

If I had to keep one out of the ones I own it would be my televue plossl 25mm. There's just something about it.

This could change this week though because I plan on pulling the trigger on a 13mm ethos tomorrow. Not that I'll get to use it straight away though because the forecast for the next week looks like the typical uk flavour.

For me it would be my first eyepiece that came with a scope I owned in 2011, a 20mm televue plossl, i've had some awesome experiences looking through that ep at jupiter and saturn, saturn was almost 3d or holographic even though it was very small through that ep, the orion nebula with my UHC attached to the diagonal, and of course the moon...two nights ago I set the new scope up on the balcony and tried out my new moon filter with it and it worked great taking the glare out and allowing me more comfort whilst viewing, ND25% orion moon filter worked wonderfully, breathtaking views...

So yeah 20mm televue plossl great construction only four elements beautiful little eyepiece i'l never get rid of it.

Mr Moff,

I am sure that you have made a great choice, many people on the forum have gone with this one, but good to see some action on the Williams Optics Uwan front, I haven't got one but they are sounding first rate.

Alan.

Thanks Alan, I'm massively excited to see through it. Hopefully this'll be my last eyepiece purchase for a while now. I'm gonna be living on pot noodles now while my wallet recovers.

This could change this week though because I plan on pulling the trigger on a 13mm ethos tomorrow. Not that I'll get to use it straight away though because the forecast for the next week looks like the typical uk flavour.

Danny, don't know if I'm too late or if you already knew about it but Telescop Express still have there 'sale' on TeleVue products, I got my 13mm Ethos from there and saved a few quid plus it only took 3 days for delivery. :)

Archived