Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Future observing meets in Devon and Cornwall?

Mike73

So with the darker nights just around the corner I thought it would be good to have a thread where we could see who would be interested in future meets.

Since Devon and Cornwall covers a large area it may no be practical or possible for everyone to meet at one location so maybe it will be worth having separate observing sessions, say one on Dartmoor and another further West to suit the Cornish members?

Maybe a 'mini' introduction would be good just saying where you are, how far you'd be willing to travel and any ideas on locations would be good?

I live in Torpoint but really don't mind travelling to real dark locations as long as they are good so I guess N Devon (Hartland area) is my limit but quite happy to goto Dartmoor or North Cornwall.

I really like going to dark sites to get the best out of my scope and work a two weeks on two weeks off routine so any time its clear on my two weeks off I pack my car up and I'm gone! Only ever observed on my own before so it should be fun to meet up with others share astronomy tips and tricks.

oh one other thing...I'm not really a cream tea man, much prefer a decent Cornish Oggy! (Just thought I'd mention it..) :grin:

As you can see from my avatar picture blurb, I live in Redruth in Cornwall and am in a bind because failing eyesight means I cannot drive anymore, so dark site viewing for me is out of the question unless I can persuade my partner to take me there. Then I have the problem that she either leaves me there (and I suddenly remember the essential bits that I forgot to bring) or she has to stay for hours whilst I carry on blissfully unaware of her boredom. To be fair she is great, but I don't like to impose.

So in an effort to solve the problem, we have the house on the market with a view to getting a place out of town where the skies will at least be better that the almost total 'white out' I have from lights where I am at the moment (just being able to see Ursa Minor would be a blessing).

Hi All

Just to suggest that meeting up either on a regular bases or for special viewing is a good idea.

I agree to the fact that travelling might be a slight problem. So may I suggest that we could have a local meet and a joint meet once a month.

Richard, depending on what happens I am sure you could fit in my car.

I live halfway between Looe and Liskeard. I'm self employed so am able to arrange/rearrange my work around my trip(s) to dark sites not that I've needed to so far this year. :embarassed:

My limit for travelling to different sites is probably about 30-35 miles from home which takes in Bodmin Moor and parts of Datmoor, although a trip to Hartland Point is definitely on the cards for later in the year.

Hi All

Just to suggest that meeting up either on a regular bases or for special viewing is a good idea.

I agree to the fact that travelling might be a slight problem. So may I suggest that we could have a local meet and a joint meet once a month.

Richard, depending on what happens I am sure you could fit in my car.

Thanks Matt.may well take you up on that if my partner can't make it. Cheers :smiley: :smiley:

Hi,

Myself and hubby live in Bideford, North Devon & after years not getting on with a Skyhawk 114 bought our dob this spring & found this site and things have escalated from there. At the stage of finding our first DSO's ( Telrad been on scope for other a month now but not a single usable clear night since)

We have only ever observed from our back garden but looking to travel to dark sky place come the autumn, Hartland and Exmoor easy trip for us & I guess northern Dartmoor should be reachable as well.

I work part time, flexitime from home so in theory can go out whenever skies are clear, but somehow that always seems to happen when I have an important audio meeting booked in for early the next mornning. Hubby trying his hand a writing sci fi ( or I should say he has written but it's the getting published that is trying) so has no constraints.

Sharon (& Glen)

Hi,

Myself and hubby live in Bideford, North Devon & after years not getting on with a Skyhawk 114 bought our dob this spring & found this site and things have escalated from there. At the stage of finding our first DSO's ( Telrad been on scope for other a month now but not a single usable clear night since)

We have only ever observed from our back garden but looking to travel to dark sky place come the autumn, Hartland and Exmoor easy trip for us & I guess northern Dartmoor should be reachable as well.

I work part time, flexitime from home so in theory can go out whenever skies are clear, but somehow that always seems to happen when I have an important audio meeting booked in for early the next mornning. Hubby trying his hand a writing sci fi ( or I should say he has written but it's the getting published that is trying) so has no constraints.

Sharon (& Glen)

Good luck with the possible book publishing Glen. I tend to write in my spare time as well and like you it is SciFi. have written three novels so far but cannot get anyone interested, so I just enjoy doing them for myself. Hope you have better luck. :smiley: :smiley:

Good luck with the possible book publishing Glen. I tend to write in my spare time as well and like you it is SciFi. have written three novels so far but cannot get anyone interested, so I just enjoy doing them for myself. Hope you have better luck. :smiley: :smiley:

I hope we can meet up at a gethering and, between nebulae, we chat about books, published or otherwise.

Glen

Hi,

Sharon (& Glen)

Hi Sharon/Glen

The group has been fairly quiet but a couple of us would really like to head up to the Hartland Point area later in the Autumn/Winter so it would be great to meet you both there sometime. There's also another thread here about the Colliford lake area which seems fairly central and with good access so we'll hopefully have a meet around that area sometime in the future.

Clear skies

Mike

Archived