Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101 on iEQ45 a revisit

Jessun

I imaged M101 a while ago down at Les Granges, and I have spent the time since then waiting for my iOptron mount to be delivered after some initial issues with it. And waiting for some 'clear' nights.

I decided that M101 could be a good target for getting to know the mount and also for doing a comparison between the night sky of Les Granges - albeit Moon lit - and the muddy sky of the city.

I ended up with this image using the sig kit and going for 6 hours and 20 minutes using 10 minute subs. The iOptron seems to need different PHD settings to guide properly, and it mustn't be too well balanced as it looks like that can cause it to bounce back and forth in RA. I moved a CW a good two inches to get it to settle better.

Overall I'm pleased with the mount, it's pointing and tracking, and I like how it can be parked in any position.

As to the image, any hints or critique is as always most welcome.

I have tried not to overdo the colours on this one, but it looks somewhat life less perhaps. Still enjoy learning this whole thing though and I'll try to add more data to this target to overcome some of the issues I have with it - it does looks a bit green and rough in the outer arms now too...

gallery_16323_1516_69239.jpg

Archived