Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

power tank build help!!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to say what a fantastic build! Excellent work! 

It has inspired to build this ( Apart from 6 sockets - I need only 3 for now ).

The case that bought you on the bay, do you have a link to it? Or does it have a specific name apart from "Blue Case " Lol :p

Thanks,

Paul.

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

This is Boots using Andy's login to post. (With permission!)

I drew up the wiring diagram shown above and will be helping Andy to wire the box.

As the wiring is shown above, it is important that the charger is not connected when equipment is connected to the outlet sockets and the main power switch is in the on position. In this scenario, if there is a fair amount of load connected, the charging circuit fuse would blow and/or damage to the battery charger may occur.

To ensure that this cannot happen, a cut-out relay can be added to the charging circuit that ensures the charger is only connected when the main power switch is in the off position.

You can view the revised wiring diagram here: http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/13353-power-box-wiring-rev-b/

Andy has said that, as he will only ever be charging the box in the house (i.e. with no equipment connected) he feels the relay is not necessary. I'm going to try to persuade him otherwise as the incremental cost is only about £3.50 and the charger will be protected should the box get used in other circumtances.

Cheers, Boots.

Resurrecting this thread as I am planning a power box build myself :-)

Firstly can I thanks Andy for providing a very useful and thought provoking insight into the process.

Now personally, I am quite happy with soldering etc, but my knowledge of electronics is very poor.

Can someone with an electronically minded brain explain to me how the relay works in the revised circuit diagram linked above, and also the role of the diode please?

My assumption is that the relay allows current to flow from the charger input to the battery by default, but should the main power switch be turned on, this then switches the relay and causes the charger to disconnect. Is that right?

And the diode...?

Many Thanks

Paul

Archived