SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New astro mag on the shelves

onesmallstep

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the telescope they're giving away as a prize in their competition is a particularly good sign. I may be misjudging it, but it looks very similar to some of the cheap and nasty ones on ebay.

James

Thanks for the tip off, it appears to be more space science than astronomy based, but that doesn't worry me to much as I find that just as interesting.

Might give it a go, but probably get it through WHS as I don't want to commit to £41 for 13 issues, then I can pick a choose whether it is worth getting or no (sorry a bit of Cornish slipping in there!)

Hi

The mag itself has a Sky At Night magazine look and feel about it although it comes from the same publishing team behind How It Works. Contributors to the first issue include Peter Grego and Geoff Notkin (of Meteorite Men fame). It seems to cover all the bases (amateur astronomy, astrophysics, planetary science, space tech / rocket science). There is an amateur astronomy section running over 10 pages although some of the advice offered differs from SGL, for example in the astronomy starter kit section they recommend 15x70 bins plus a photo tripod worth several hundred pounds yet don't seem to mention the more traditional 10x50 / 7x50 bins.

I've bought the first issue out of interest / curiosity but will probably stick with my regular mags. Being the launch (no pun intended) issue it's probably aimed at beginners and would be a wise purchase for amateur astronomers who are just starting out in the hobby and/or for those who already read the sister publication.

HTH!

Yes, please tell us if it's worth getting!

Does it have a star chart, telescope reviews or is it more about cosmology than astronomy?

Hi

The first issue has a rudimentary star chart as an example within the amateur astronomy section but doesn't have one as a main feature.

HTH!

Hi guys,

Stumbled across this forum thread the other day and just thought I’d pitch in. I’m the Senior Staff Writer for All About Space magazine, and it’s great to hear some feedback from those in the know.

I’ll start off by saying that, as a new magazine, we won’t be competing with existing publications on an astronomy front any time soon. As we’re covering a wide array of topics every issue, and aiming for a mainstream market, we simply don’t have the space to cover the same number of astronomy topics that others do in-depth every issue. However, that being said, that doesn’t mean we’ll skimp on quality. We’ve got a whole host of writers supplying content for us who are experts in their respective fields, so we’ll be sure to be as accurate and descriptive as possible.

I think our main selling point over other similar magazines is our wide array of content. We’re not just an astronomy magazine, we’re aeronautics and space science as well, and these latter two make up the majority of the magazine. Our astronomy section is catering to entry-level astronomers but we will be ramping up the content as issues go on. We’ll also be running regular star charts, reviews and tips in our Stargazing section which should hopefully be of interest.

Anyway, if you’ve got any questions or suggestions feel free to fire them across in this thread. We’re still young so there’s plenty of room for development and we really appreciate any and all feedback.

Cheers,

Jonny O’Callaghan

All About Space

I think our main selling point over other similar magazines is our wide array of content. We’re not just an astronomy magazine, we’re aeronautics and space science as well, and these latter two make up the majority of the magazine. Our astronomy section is catering to entry-level astronomers but we will be ramping up the content as issues go on. We’ll also be running regular star charts, reviews and tips in our Stargazing section which should hopefully be of interest.

Anyway, if you’ve got any questions or suggestions feel free to fire them across in this thread. We’re still young so there’s plenty of room for development and we really appreciate any and all feedback.

Cheers,

Jonny O’Callaghan

All About Space

And in return, perhaps SGL might receive free publicity in your new magazine? :smiley:

Hi guys,

Stumbled across this forum thread the other day and just thought I’d pitch in. I’m the Senior Staff Writer for All About Space magazine, and it’s great to hear some feedback from those in the know.

I’ll start off by saying that, as a new magazine, we won’t be competing with existing publications on an astronomy front any time soon. As we’re covering a wide array of topics every issue, and aiming for a mainstream market, we simply don’t have the space to cover the same number of astronomy topics that others do in-depth every issue. However, that being said, that doesn’t mean we’ll skimp on quality. We’ve got a whole host of writers supplying content for us who are experts in their respective fields, so we’ll be sure to be as accurate and descriptive as possible.

Cheers,

Jonny O’Callaghan

All About Space

Hi and welcome to SGL

As I'm the OP I'd thought I'd respond. On the whole I'm impressed with the first issue despite some of my comments. The mag is easy to read and covers most if not all of the main topic areas in space and astronomy. Some of the advice given in the amateur astronomy / getting started section differs from the advice / received wisdom on SGL but that's inevitable given the number of astronomers on here.

Good luck with the magazine, I wish you every success.

Hi Jonnny - can you help please ??

On one of the web pages, it points to an ipad version. Which i much prefer (have tried 4 local fairly big supermarkets now).

is there an ipad version ??

Thanks.

I don't think the telescope they're giving away as a prize in their competition is a particularly good sign. I may be misjudging it, but it looks very similar to some of the cheap and nasty ones on ebay.

James

What page is the competition on? I can't for the life of me find it!

Paul

I've just finished reading it - I found it quite enjoyable. Limited in terms of Astronomy but I enjoyed the various articles and I like anything to do wiith space!

Excellent, thanks for the feed back, still haven't been able to find a copy yet. :embarrassed:

Archived