Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

assasincz

Dirt inside Hyperion Zoom Mk.III

Hi guys,

It has been a while (a couple of months) since I have had my new Baader Hyperion Zoom Mk.III eyepiece but today, when obseving the Sun, I have noticed quite a prominent piece of dirt in the FOV. A bit of investigating later, it seems, that the dirt is stuck somewhere inside the mechanics of the eyepiece, bringing it into focus somewhere between 16mm focal length. Looking through the eyepiece against the bright background, I have notice at least two other smaller pieces of dirt, but the one large in question is the one that is really bugging me. I know there is a way to disassemble the eyepiece and clean it, but I'm positive that cleaning it DIY will only make it worse.

My question is - is the piece of dirt reason enough to send it back under the warranty?

Thanks

Ive had mine since the middle of March (2012) and i can only report that there is no dust or dirt. I just looked at mine and i cant see a way to get into it to clean it.

Send it back.

Actually, there has been a development - a few gentle bumps with the eyepiece on a table and the piece of dirt fell off the optics on its own. Still, it is bugging me that there is a loose piece of dirt inside my precious eyepiece. I will wait what the supplier has to say about it and will decide accordingly.

Dont tell the supplier that you gave it a few gentle bumps on the table. They wont replace it then.

I don't know it's just not good enough, I found a similar dirt problem with my Meade SWA 28mm, it's a bit easier to put right. I wouldn't fancy taking a Zoom apart. Take it back to the shop.

Alan.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jadcx
      Baader Hyperion Eyepieces

5mm - £70
      10mm - £70
      24mm - £70
      Or all three for £190
      I bought these over on ABS a while back, used them a couple of times, and have never touched them again, so selling for future upgrade points.
      They seem like perfectly OK eyepieces, but the Baader and TV zooms are perfectly good for my portable viewing, and take up less space and weight.
      Price includes UK postage.  Payment by bank transfer (preferred) or PayPal (buyer pays fees).
    • By rjc404
      Does anyone who has one of these zoom eyepieces know if there is a t-thread hidden under the twist-up rubber eye-cups like there are on some other zooms?
      I don't have a zoom in my set yet and don't want to break the bank. I just aim to use it mainly for visual e.g. being lazy with one 'no faff' eyepiece or when I'm being more dedicated, scoping out the seeing at different magnifications before changing to a dedicated eyepiece.
      I'd only use it for occasional photography but would rather buy one with a T-thread.
      For reference here are the different branded versions I can find:
      OVL Hyperflex version: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/hyperflex-72mm-215mm-eyepiece.html
      Skywatcher Hyperflex version: https://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-HyperFlex-7E-7.2-21.5mm-High-Performance-Zoom-Eyepiece.html

I had read in the previous thread that the Lunt version of this zoom is also generic but the only one I can find looks quite different and is twice as expensive and has a different field of view so not sure about that?
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/lunt-solar-accessories/lunt-125-zoom-eyepiece-72mm-215mm.html
      Thanks for any feedback (or any other recommendations for circa £100 zoom lens that might have a hidden T-thread)!!!

• By Kronos831
      Heyyy its me again! Today me and my friend went out to observe! We spotted the moon and focused on it,took some okay pictures with my phone without an adapter( that means having to hold up my phone over the eyepiece 's tiny  hole). Then we tried moving towards mars, relatively close to the moon. It wanst a dot but like a small circle with some colour, afterwards we moved towards stars,but instead of seeing these circles with the secondary s reflection in the middle, we saw small circles (like mars but smaller) they were green blue and red coloured i didn't think much of it but then i checked the mirror. And i saw some dust.... Pics bellow.Is it the mirror or is this normal? Also if its the mirror, how do i clean it without removing it, i have a celestron firstscope btw. 
      Thanks.

• By nicoscy
      Offering for sale my Leica Zoom eyepiece with both the APM 1.25" adapter and the Starlight Instruments 2" adapter, plus a 2" to 1.25" adapter for fitting 1.25" filters on the 2" Starlight Instruments adapter.
      Comes with original box, case, manual. New based on current exchange rates, VAT and shipping costs, it would set you back GBP 948 give or take a pint or two in costs.
      Priced to sell at GBP 600 including insured shipping with tracking. Price is firm, please don't contact me with offers below this price. 
      If anybody is interested, I can snap a few more photos to send, but the eyepiece IS in immaculate condition!

• By sandycorgi44
      I'm trying to take pics with my Pentax camera and have a "C" mount and a 40mm extension tube........what else do I need for to take photos with this lens?    Relatively new to all of this.   Thanks for any replies 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.