NLC-Banner.thumb.jpg.acb5ba835b9e8bf0718b90539633017d.jpg

Sky-Watcher EQ3-2 same as Celestron CG-4?

starscy

Is the Sky-Watcher EQ3-2 the same mount as the Celestron CG-4? I am assuming it is as both mounts accept the same optional drive motors. Does anyone know how accurate are these motors and if they are made of metal or plastic?

Edited by starscy

The two mounts are essentialy the same. Mine is a mixture of CG4 mount and EQ3-2 accessories. It depends on which motors you intend to fit. The Synscan upgrade uses brass gears and the dual axis drives has a brass and a nylon gearwheel in the dec axis drive train and the ra drive is connected directly to the ra shaft.

Peter

The ra drive is connected directly to the ra shaft with a flexible coupling, the dec axis has a brass gear which also doubles up as a clucth to allow you disengage the drive and a large nylon gear wheel on the dec axis moto. It works fine,neither of the two axis rotate at any great speed so there is not much load on them.

Peter

• 5 years later...

Yes thanks to all but I still would like to know...can I use the "Celestron 93522 Dual Axis Motor Drive for EQ3-2 CG-4 telescope mount" on a "SkyWatcher 150/750 EQ3".

I am starting now in stargazing and would like to know before I take the telescope. I can get it secondhand and in GREAT condition for only $154.00.

Please help a newbie!?

I think the CG4 mount has better (roller?) bearings than the EQ3-2 plus it has the 1.75" steel tripod which is better than the standard aluminium one of the EQ3. The latter is definitely worth having with respect to the 150 f5 scope.