Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from South Wales, UK

kevrees

Hi,

I live in the Rhondda, south wales and would say im more of a 'casual' observer. At the moment ive only got a pair of 10x50 binoculars and generally just use them now and then if we have a clear sky and full moon and i go out the back, let my eyes adjust for 20 minutes and just have a nose at the moon and basically just random stuff in the sky which i cant even pretend to know the names of, i could probably pick out the plow but that is as far as my knowledge goes at the moment. I will be investing in a couple of books and magazines to increase my knowledge but like i said i'd class myself more of a casual observer at the moment.

Anyway, i have been watching night skies network over the past couple of nights, as well as some youtube videos and its inspired me to think about getting a slightly better pair of binoculars (possibly celestron 15x70 but open to suggestions and will be reading the different reviews before making a decision) and a tripod. The reason i say binoculars is mainly costs. Apparently you can get an awesome set of binoculars and tripod for the same price as a mediocre telescope and im not looking to be spending more than about £80. I've always had this thing where i would love to be able to find and look at saturn, jupiter and its moons and mars to name but a few. Its impressive seeing some of the images but i can imagine how good it must feel when you locate and see it for yourself, thats just one of them things i got on my 'bucket list'.

Anyway, i have a ton of questions i will no doubt find the answers for when i have a nose through the forums after writing this and see if there are any local clubs or get togethers local that i could possibly visit.

Cheers,

Kev

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also if you'r looking for a scope for under £80 then I suggest the Sky-Watcher Mercury707AZ2. It's the scope I own and It's is wonderfully cheap and has shown me the rings of Saturn, the Orion nebula and even the Transit of Venus and it's still Wowing with spectacular views!

http://www.opticalvi...ors/mercury-707

It is also very portable and easy to store!

Hi Kev and welcome to SGL,keep an eye on the South Wales and the Valleys group and thier goings ons. When weather permits we meet up every two weeks,usually up on a site in Blaenavon.Great bunch of people.Come along and you will be amazed. :grin: . Keep an eye on the classifieds and you might pick up a bargain off a fellow member of SGL.

Hi Kev - welcome on board as Ant (Ganymeade) says above- would be good to meet you at one of the S Wales group meets - their a very friendly bunch - a lot of us spend some time with Binos at these meets and using each others scopes- be good to see you in the future when it kicks off again in earnest as the Autumn skies return

best of luck with your search for new optics

Steve

Shwmai Kev & welcome. I've got a 15x70 Celestron and they're pretty good, I think I paid £55 from Astronomica. They also have a money back offer to refund the amount paid against your upgrade to a telescope,should only work on scope to scope sales but I think they're flexible. Lots of info on using bins here plus a book I started with - Stargazing with Binoculars, does what it says on the cover and a great one to get you started.

Hi Kev and welcome to the forum. You might find the following links to websites listed below useful in your future binocular observations:

Backyard Voyager (binocular equipment & mounts)

The Binocular Sky (for ideas on targets)

Observational Astronomy (for ideas on what to observe - extensive list)

Hope you find the above useful in your observations and learning the night sky.

Clear skies

James

Welcome Kev. There seems to be quite a gathering from this part of the world. Perhaps it's the clear skies we get all the year round :grin:

There's so much knowledge and experience here, and all freely given and friendly. you've definitely come to the right place.

Good luck.

Jason

Archived