Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First DSO`s (a comedy of errors)

mikkey99

Forcast for clear nights all weekend, Chance to try the HEQ5pro i got from Greg at SP3.5

Well here`s the result of the first 2 nights

Decided to start on the `easy` targets

M31

20x1mins prime focus, skywatcher200, D40 iso400, stacked with darks in DSS

1149_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Then moved to M27

20x30sec

1150_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

And finally M57

15x1min

1151_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

So 2 nights, a total of about 10 hrs and three average pics to show for it

this dso imaging is harder than it looks

and what did i learn from it?

1 check your focusing carefully, (15x 1min exp with all the stars appearing as white circles with black centres is no good)

2 Stand STILL (clumping around whilst shutter is open WILL cause vibrations)

3 Be patient (It takes the camera as long to process data as length of exp, ie 20x1mins=40mins mininum)

4 Charge camera Battery (and take charger with you)

Still it`s all a learning curve and i`ll be out again tonight (fingers crossed)

Mike

Looking good Mike 8)

I think Greg had a lump in his throat after selling you that mount. It was his first 'serious' piece of astro kit and it transformed his hobby. It's good to see that it has gone to a good home and is being put to good use :D

Excellent start , Mike. :D

I have the HEQ5 pro and it has proved to be excellent.

If you sort out some form of auto guiding you will be able to increase the subs length and get a lot of extra fine detail.

John

Excellent start , Mike. :D

If you sort out some form of auto guiding you will be able to increase the subs length and get a lot of extra fine detail.

John

Toying with the idea of using my 300mm tele lens and a webcam to guide

just got to work out a way of mounting it :)

Mike

Hi Mikkey , thats a great first few images there mate , well imaging hard !! it is in a way , but like anything with plenty of practise, and learning processing ,it all comes together , very quick , you are off to an excellent start, so keep at it .

Rog

Excellent start , Mike. :)

John

Toying with the idea of using my 300mm tele lens and a webcam to guide

just got to work out a way of mounting it :(

Mike

The auto guiding is something to aim for - it introduces another set of problems :D

At present the more you practice with what you have the better.

John

hey Mike i also did my 1st DSOs last night.

Lots of trial and error, in the end i agree about the points you make.

Focusing is one thing, but i seem to have coma in my pics, so i'll have to look at backlash, cone settings, etc as instead of pinpoints my stars are like u-shaped tiny trials :D

Oh well, this is not 1/2 as easy as i imagined, guess its one BIG learning curve.

With regards to the focusing, I found DSLR focus to be of great help - although not much use if you're not using a laptop :wink:

I used to spend ages taking a picture, looking at it, focusing a little more, take another one, etc, etc, etc. DSLR Focus brought that focussing time down by loads.

A good start Mike, you should feel quite encouraged by those results.

This imaging 'lark' is not as easy as some that haven't tried it, might think.

Its one very long 'learning curve', and IMO the only way to move up that 'curve', is to keep on imaging and learn from your results. Its also about experimentation, and learning what your camera and scope 'set-up' is capable of.

Its wise, as you have done, to start with the easier targets, work on those for a while, before moving on to more challenging objects.

As I said, a good start!!.

Dave

Archived