Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

nightskystargazer

Saw the "X" on the Moon

Forgive me if i'm being dumb, what and where abouts is the 'x' on the moon?

D.C

Forgive me if i'm being dumb, what and where abouts is the 'x' on the moon?

D.C

Nothing dumb about that question. I have done a fair amount of observing and reading about the moon and I have no clue about what the "x" is. Please do tell??

Never heard of that one before but "Hey" we learn something every day. :smiley:

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad that you learn about the "Lunar-X".

Symesie04 has the Web Address right, I gave it to DazC last night.

I suppose I should have put that with my Post.

CS,KLU,

:smiley: ,

Tom

Thanks for that Tom, i'll have to read a bit more about that and try to observe it for myself one day soon.

Thanks.

D.C

I thought you meant the X where SPM drew on one of his moon maps and handed it to NASA saying " this is where you should aim for when landing" :grin: :grin: :grin:

never heard of the Lunar X before but now I know what it is I'll go searching for it. What's the minimum scope aperture you need to see it?

As in nov 2020?

That's a fair bit of time for research!!

D.C

For those wishing to get a general idea of where it is you can view these images here to get you started although the X is visible only for a few hours before the first quarter. For anyone who is interested in viewing more lunar details (given that clear skies are often accompanied by the presence of a decent phase of the moon) you might want to consider this PDF list I found on the Highlands Astronomical Society website which details a further 100 interesting lunar features which some of you might like to explore. The moon is a genuinely interesting and often overlooked object which is a shame given that it can be viewed all year round and from the most light polluted of areas. Given our recent drought of clear skies due to the weather, lunar observing presents an interesting project to help us keep 'focused' on astronomy during this time.

James

Hi,

After rereading my reply, it looks like I put Nov. 20, but I forgot to put the year 2012, Sorry about that Folks.

CS,KLU,

:smiley: ,

Tom