Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telrad question!!!!

Thats great thank you.

So it doesn't matter that the dew shield isn't black?

I have an old light green camping mat that i could cut up but i thought it had to be a darkish colour??

Does the length have to be 1.1/2 times the dia of the tube??

So an 8" would be 12"??

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A dewshield doesn't have to be black although the darker the colour the better, don't go for a white or yellow one ! (although once it's dark it's dark, a lighter one may pick up some reflected light and lower the contrast in your eyepiece, mine helps with dew obviously but also works as an excellent stray light shade). Mine is blue, virtually identical to the one pictured above.

I made my telrad dewshield like Nick above from a piece of foam, here's another link for a template.

http://www.homebuilt...dDewShield.html

Works really well.

Thanks Tinker,i have plenty of velcro so thats good :smiley:

Is it worth painting the foam black for the Dob dew shield as SWMBO says she as some black fabric paint that might do the trick??

Also those Messier maps.Do i need to print em all off,can i see all of those with my Dob??

No need to paint it black - you run the risk of paint flakes coming off (when the dewshield flexes) and going down the tube onto your mirrors.

You could line it with something black I suppose but I haven't found the need for it.

I used velcro to hold the dewshield in shape, as to fitment on the scope I just push it on (I've cut out a section for the Telrad and four more for the secondary supports - just so it can fit a little further onto the OTA).

When I don't want to use it I just take it off and roll it up.

Don't expect the Telrad to do anything other than let you see through it to the stars behind and throw up a set of red rings on the sky. Find a bright star in the EP then centre the Telrad circles on it using the three plastic screws.

Olly

Found the best way to adjust and get correct alignment is to get your scope locked to a nice bright star then adjust your Telrad using the adjustment screws dont stand close to it ! stand back , turn the rings up full first to help you get your eyes in the correct line of sight, it is very easy to use once youve had some time to use it.

It is the same technique required for red dot finders and Celestron SkyScout - the trick is to maintain your eye's focus on the starts while placing the Telrad / SkyScout in front of your face. If you decide to focus on the red rings you'll lose the stars, it just takes a bit of practice and concentration not to focus on what your eyes want to focus on, which will be the nearest object to your face.

I find it is possible to use just one eye with a red dot finder, you may find it easier to just gently cover one eye with your hand while keeping both open.

Well folks i have made both my dewshields,well sort of.

I managed to get some of the thin black foam for the Telrad,printed the pattern out,marked it and cut it out and fixed it using velcro :smiley:

I just need to get a new mat for the for the Dob one as the mat i had was no good the foam was too thin and ripped esaily so i used my daughters blue mat that she's had for years but was well creased,stopping me from getting a nice round shape to it.The foam was a lot stronger and slightly thicker.

It does work as i have looked through the scope and the view was clear,but it does look a bit of a mess when attached :shocked:

• 4 years later...
On 27 June 2012 at 21:58, brantuk said:

Here's what you do - take the telrad off the scope and switch the circles on dead low. Do this in the dark of night and hold it up skwards in your hand. The bit with the glass should be nearest you and the battery compartment pointing away from you. Practise looking through it in your hand to find the exact angle you need to be at to see both circles and stars. I suspect you've mounted it the wrong way round :)

Oh I'm so glad I just came indoors to read this old thread ....haven't used my telrad in a long while ....I had only gone and remounted it back to front !! ? Derrrrr !!! 

On 20/03/2017 at 20:43, Tigaroo said:

Oh I'm so glad I just came indoors to read this old thread ....haven't used my telrad in a long while ....I had only gone and remounted it back to front !! ? Derrrrr !!! 

You're not the first to make this error. I seem to recall sometime ago one of our more experienced members confessing to this. I'll spare his blushes by keeping his name to myself.

Haha!!! Thought it was just a rookie error! Certainly am benefiting from it being the right way, makes finding things so much easier , looking through the finder scope can be confusing when you see so many stars ! I found the Leo triplet very quickly first time of trying , that was delightful 

Archived