Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad question!!!!

Well folks i got my Telrad when i bought my Dob and although it came with instructions,i am still not sure if i am using it correctly,not that i have had the time to use it of a night.

But when i did tr, the one and only night i have been out with it,i couldn't really see anything apart from the red rings.Even when i turned the brightness of the rings down all i could see was a blank black screen.

So any helpful advice on how to use it will be appreciated. :smiley:

i have aligned it up during the day and it did work.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really need to turn the brightness way down and try it out on a bright star.

I find that i use mine in a way where the red circles themselves are only just visible.

Also make sure that the screen has not dewed up.

Hope that helps a little

You really need to turn the brightness way down and try it out on a bright star.

I find that i use mine in a way where the red circles themselves are only just visible.

Also make sure that the screen has not dewed up.

Hope that helps a little

This makes sense

The trick is to look past the screen, not at it. Your eye should be focused on the starry background, not the Telrad screen. It takes a little practice but once you get it, it makes so much sense !

Here's what you do - take the telrad off the scope and switch the circles on dead low. Do this in the dark of night and hold it up skwards in your hand. The bit with the glass should be nearest you and the battery compartment pointing away from you. Practise looking through it in your hand to find the exact angle you need to be at to see both circles and stars. I suspect you've mounted it the wrong way round :)

Right i think i now have it sussed :shocked:

The Moon just about showed itself through the cloud earlier.

So i quickly dragged the Dob out of its corner where its been waiting patiently for me to use it and even quicker still i managed to get it set up,all in the comfort of the dining room and using a dining chair to sit on,which made it a whole lot more comfy on the back.

I tried my finder scope to line the Moon up and i'm glad to say it was spot on.

Then i tried the Telrad,which i did have round the right way,HOORAY, :grin: looked at the screen and could see the Moon bang in the middle of the rings :shocked:

i couldn't see any stars showing as it is quite cloudy,but at least i do now know that i was using it correctly.

Thanks for the help chaps,just looking forward to seeing some stars with it now :smiley:

The only thing to add is that the "viewing angle" through the Telrad is critical - often when mounted on your scope you will find it difficult to get things right to start with. There is no reason at all why you can't view through the Telrad from a couple of feet behind it! Another trick is to always have both eyes open - one to view through the Telrad and the other to look at the background stars, after a while you will find that you start to look at the starry background with both eyes and (magically!) the Telrad rings will also be there. Sounds a bit odd but, if you practice a bit, you will find it very easy to use.

I had a first go with my new telrad last night.

Effectively its just a head up display in the same way as is seen in jet fighters and some fancy cars. It appears when lookimg through it that it has projected three concentric circles onto the sky. It does not magnify the view in any way. The idea is to use it with finder charts that allow you overlay an acetate sheet with the three circles on. you then align your actual view through the telrad circles to match what you have on the finder chart. Its meant to be easier because you are not looking at an inverted or optically enhanced image of the sky so I got it as I thought it will help me as I find it easy to get lost looking through my finder as it shows so many stars.

It appears to work well but I'll need some darker skies to see if it can help me find the messiers.

rob

When you say you look through it,do you mean you have to look through the opening on the front??

I have been standing sort of in front of the Telrad looking onto the glass/plastic screen until the rings appeared,is that the wrong way??

I have just ordered a Skywatcher right angled image finderscope which i think will be easier for me to use,i hope.

That does help Roger thank you.

I am looking through it off the scope now,as suggested above and can now see the rings,and the penny has just dropped as to how it works,and why the Telrad maps are useful. :rolleyes:So using the Telrad still requires bending over and trying to look through it?

So much for me thinking i had it sussed. :rolleyes:

Thanks Ikorodu and PB,i will have a look at the DS,but from what i am reading and now know i suppose,i will still have to crick my neck to use the Telrad when viewing higher up??

Ikorodu-I take it that the blue cover on your Dob is a dew shiled.Is it home made??

Thanks Ikorodu and PB,i will have a look at the DS,but from what i am reading and now know i suppose,i will still have to crick my neck to use the Telrad when viewing higher up??

Ikorodu-I take it that the blue cover on your Dob is a dew shiled.Is it home made??

It is indeed my attempt at a dew shield. Was made from a £4 camping mat and some self adhesive Velcro from eBay. I have no idea if it works as it was its first night out last night. I suppose an Absence of dew would bode well! I have a bit of the mat left that I use to store the ota on in my shed. Another small bit of off cut is destined to be a dew shield for the Telrad. So much tinkering to do and such little time!

Archived