SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing meet ups.

Hello.I am Martin and live in Cheshunt.I would very much like to join others to observe at a dark site.I am now using skywatcher telescope,a star travel 120 and skymax 127 wiy an az 4 mount.

All the best,

Martin.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning Martin, Carl,

I'm in Cheshunt, what do you have in mind regarding a dark site?

There's the tricky bit - there's nothing suitable, that I know of, around Watford. I know of a dark site but it has poor sight lines due to large numbers of trees due to it being a cub/scout camp.

I'll continue to rack my brains.

Gents

All I can find online is this thread http://stargazerslou...fordshire-area/ from 2008.

Other than that I think it is down to local knowledge.

ETA this thread http://stargazerslou...erving-session/ that's an hours drive for me but I would do it for the sake of some darker sky.

And this "Try the top of Coombe Hill near Wendover in Buckinghamshire. It is the highest point in the Chiltern Hills and open to the public

Also Inkpen Beacon, West Berkshire, south of Hungerford".

I may scout around the Ashridge Estate over the summer holidays - 'just taking the dogs for a walk dear'.

When I used to visit my aunt in Hawkedon Suffolk, it was so dark I got fed up with walking into things, you couldn't see your hand infront of your face. However, in my last visit I noticed someone else must've had the same problem and now there is the lamp of death shining out over the fields and the pub is giving Blackpool a run for it's money.

Thanks for the response.I'll put my thinking cap on and come up with some suggestions in a day or two.There must be something not too far away.

All the best ,

Martin.

Combe Hill might be a high point in the Chilterns, but it is quite a treck for lugging gear from the nearest car park. It also has great views of Aylesbury and its associated light pollution!

I am thinking more near the A10 and it's back lanes.I am going to ride through them at the weekend to see if there are any viable dark observing sites.

I am thinking more near the A10 and it's back lanes.I am going to ride through them at the weekend to see if there are any viable dark observing sites.

Good idea, I think I'll put these cloudy/damp evenings to good use and go scouting. Any campsites around here worth checking out?

• 2 months later...

thats not too far up the road from me in stevenage so would be up for this.

we've had a lot of talk about trying to get a meet organised but never managed to do it.

would be good if we could get something sorted as im fed up with my back garden view and being on me tod

I was on holiday in Swanage in August.The dark skies from Durlston are fantastis.But after an hour I start getting spooked.All those eyes of various critters looking at me from the dark. :Envy: :Envy: :Envy:

Hi Carl,

There is a site with loads of parking, I don't know how dark it is at night because it is near the A1(M) near Stevenage.

Post Code..... .SG4 7EQ Graveley near Stevenage

There are no street lights on neither the A1(M) or the road north out of Graveley. I suspect Stevenage may be a light pollution source.

If somebody who lives near Stevenage could visit the site at night and report back that would be great.

I know the owner of the Dog Training Facility and if it was suitable I could have a chat with him.

Unfortunately, I live about 40 miles away!!!

But it is a site with great views in all directions... Stevenage is to the South.

Cheers

Adrian

Im about a mile from the golf course so know where you mean.

From memory the pick your own place is locked up when closed and is only accessible from the B197

I'll drive home fro mwork that way tonight and take another look.

we went for a walk from our place down to the pub in Gravely in the summer and I commented to the missus that it would be a good area to take the telescope as there are good all round views.

the only downside i could see is that most, if not all was private land and there wasnt really anywhere for parking.

There are a few nice spots in the opposite direction going into Weston, but again its all private land.

I'll repost later when Im home from work

Drove past their tonight on the way home from work. If the owners agree to giving access in the evening then it could well be a suitable location. Certainly worth having a word with the owner to see what they think.

Archived