Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone else looking forward to Autumn?

patomlin76

Roll on darker nights, i think i've had my scope out two, maybe three times in the last three months.

Darker, longer nights = longer evening sessions + more early morning sessions.....Mmmmmm!!!

D.C

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been an enforced summer break for all of us but being my first "astro" summer it has become apparent that it just doesn't get dark enough before bedtime for any serious observing.

Oh well, off to the Greek Islands in July and plan to take the Travel Scope with me.

Been away from these forums for a few months, the scope and brand new EPs are also gathering dust...

Mainly due to the awful weather and low pressure dominance of the summer so far (can count one clear night in 2 months). But also due to the long days.

Working full time and having 2 kids, I just can't wait till after midnight before I start getting dark skies - in York it is surprisingly light even at 11.30...

I for one cannot wait for slightly shorter days to come when a decent viewing session can be done around 10-11pm and not be shattered the next day. Also along with another forum member I have found a great dark sky location just outside of York where the milky way is visible... Can't wait for a long dark autumnal evening for that! To me the summer skies seem less interesting - well before midnight anyway!!

Sorry for the ramble but been a while since stargazing and want to vent a little frustration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will bet you are looking forward to using the dark site, it is not often a very kind Farmer allows you to use, through Autumn.Winter and Spring, one of his 80 feet square hard standings, which were once used for Sugar Beet storage, at least a mile from a minor village road and situated in open flat farm land with a 360° uncluttered horizon. Should be enough room for the odd scope I think :D

John.

Autumn is still at least couple of months away, plenty of time for clear sky's :) ... and lots of warm sun - maybe.

If you like playing PC/Android games (I rarely do myself) you could have a go at the OSMOS game, which is quite a different type of game, and is suppose to be relaxing but I'm darned if it relaxes me lol ... try it, it's quite spacey ;)

Trying to get some white light solar to ease the pangs but the sun seems to have disappeared as well as the stars here in the North East and I've just bought an electronic focusser unit so that will probably mean clouds for at least two months!

well I've just spent the last hour on stellarium dribbling over the fact that you can zoom it to millions of stars... each of which is a sun or something similar and each which may have between 3 and xxx amount of planets and wondering how many other worlds have life ! we are definitely not alone !!!!!! the odds are ridiculously stacked in the favour of life... at least 1 other planet MUST have life - i just wish it would show itself whilst I'm still alive !!

mind boggling really and incomprehensible to a human i think

well I've just spent the last hour on stellarium dribbling over the fact that you can zoom it to millions of stars... each of which is a sun or something similar and each which may have between 3 and xxx amount of planets and wondering how many other worlds have life ! we are definitely not alone !!!!!! the odds are ridiculously stacked in the favour of life... at least 1 other planet MUST have life - i just wish it would show itself whilst I'm still alive !!

mind boggling really and incomprehensible to a human i think

Yes, and think of all the millions of galaxies each with their own millions upon millions of stars. Which can only mean absolutely millions of planets. Even millions upon millions of moons too. Some of them moons could be like some of our solar system moons, which we suspect to have liquid water oceans.

Could not agree more! I don't think I've even caught sight of the moon since april!

I usually write off June,July and August - but would have hoped to get some scope time prior to the long days,

Oh well - september isn't far off!

Autumn - isn't that the cloudy, wet season in Britain?

No, its Autumn, Winter, Spring AND Summer :(

Could not agree more! I don't think I've even caught sight of the moon since april!

I actually saw it peek through a gap in the clouds earlier, if it weren't for the tides we would forget we even had one!

Trees! I have a nice leafy tree in a garden behind mine to the south east which is driving me nuts. I wouldn`t mind but about 8 years ago I was allowed to cut half of it down and it`s grown back with vigor! Trouble is the owner doesn`t want it trimmed again!

And last night, it was clear! I wanted to take a peek at the moon but I had to get up at 5am so by the time the kids were tucked up in bed, so was I :BangHead:

I feel everyone's pain. I just bought myself a new 250px, and ST80 for the autumn and it can't come quick enough. I'm taking the time to collect some new gear, look at the moon , and planets with my ST80, and read before the winter sky comes rolling in. I keep opening the door under the stairs looking at my new 10" but it's never been out yet!

I've only had my Scope for about 2 months now and i think I've used it 3 times. I've decided to give up for the next couple of months and try again in September. I might start learning something then.

I'm not wishing away the summer though. The weather might be awful but at least it's warm and i can sit around in a pair of shorts and have a few cheeky beers!

For me the summer can't be gone too soon! Let's face it, in Britain our Summer is just like all the other month's except it doesn't get dark until midnight!

It's always cloudy and always wet and I haven't had time out with my scope in MONTHS!

I am tired of British "Summer" and I just want ONE night to do astronomy!

Rant over, pain still going!

Yep, same here in the Netherlands too (I am latitude 52N). It seems the "Summer" months are just cloud, warm rain, and hardly any darkness. The occasional break in clouds always coincides with a full-moon.

We tend to get warm sunny April followed by rain / low pressure systems, then October we have nice sunny weather again.

Definitely looking forward to Autumn.

By the way, only 25 weeks to go until the shortest day of the year ; then the days will start getting lighter again.

Would settle for some clear nights! Spent 5 months at sea dived this year ...5 days in Cape Town ..4 days of rain and one evening looking at the southern skies (Fantastic!!!) star gazing staring at a laptop using Skyx program just NOT the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see though things are getting better - perfect sky tonight though not till now - still a little too late for a 'school night' Give it a few weeks when it's around 10.30 then it will be time to get going again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived