Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone else looking forward to Autumn?

patomlin76

Been away from these forums for a few months, the scope and brand new EPs are also gathering dust...

Mainly due to the awful weather and low pressure dominance of the summer so far (can count one clear night in 2 months). But also due to the long days.

Working full time and having 2 kids, I just can't wait till after midnight before I start getting dark skies - in York it is surprisingly light even at 11.30...

I for one cannot wait for slightly shorter days to come when a decent viewing session can be done around 10-11pm and not be shattered the next day. Also along with another forum member I have found a great dark sky location just outside of York where the milky way is visible... Can't wait for a long dark autumnal evening for that! To me the summer skies seem less interesting - well before midnight anyway!!

Sorry for the ramble but been a while since stargazing and want to vent a little frustration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same boat as me. Full time job, two kids. The best time for me to get out there is 10pm to 11pm as well, unless there is a special event.

I was up at 4am to see the cloud transit of the sun,(someone mentioned Venus as well!) then I had to drag myself through a whole day of work.

It would be nice to have a bit of fair weather just to relax in the garden as the sun sets.

Beer in one hand, binoculars in the other. Doing that is a distant memory though!

I can go one better, I have 3 boys aged 8, 5 and 3. I tend not to get a huge amount of sleep as a result! Coupled with my job requiring 45 to 50 hours a week plus some weekends my stargazing time has to be limited to finish by 11pm at the latest.

Early starts are out as me getting up a 4 would disturb the others in the house which isn't fair.

Given the need to get the kids in bed and reading the bed time stories. I'm effectively available for scope use from 8.30pm.

So best case is 2.5 hours and that's if its clear!

Come to think of it why do I bother? I just love finding things in the eyepiece that are so far away.

Anyway roll on september...

Plenty in the same boat then! Like previous posts after all the bedtime routine is complete it is 8.30, so clear nights allowing I usually have at most 3 hours on a weeknight.

Like others have said I have also found myself taking an unplanned summer break as well! Glad to know I'm not the only one... Roll on Autumn, Winter and Orion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm lookin forward to autum hoping the obey is up an running but also with me new job I get 4 days off a week too so I'm hoping to get more astronomy done than last autum. I like August for observing in shorts :)

In a nut shell... YES.. :smiley:

Although not only for the longer nights, but the weather seems to be a bit more stable. the last few years we''ve been camping around the October time and its been fantstic weather.

Greg

Agreed, in Norfolk it's not dark at 1130pm.

That said, please don't wish the summer away just yet, I'd quite like some beach time to play with my "other toys" and it's no fun in the cold!

Chris

post-13811-0-79880300-1340688317_thumb.j

I've planned to have a lot of new gear ready for the dark season, so if I could decide we would skip summer this year :grin: Nothing to be done here in Norway this time of year except for the sun.

Without wishing my life away, maybe, but kids and family come first - they just think I am crackers and laugh at my recent abortive attempts. Been out once in last six weeks so my plan of learning new kit for a couple of hours at a time is a non-starter. I have learnt more about Cirrus and Stratos and forgotten about most things astro.

Oh well, the kids will be off on holiday in five weeks so the beaches beckon.

Hell yes!!!!!! Just booked a foreign holiday which will give some hot sunny weather to recharge after the appaling summer we are having in the uk at the moment. Then roll on Autumn/winter (as long as we get some lovely clear nights), so I can play with my new toy which is expected from the Celestron factory in the next few weeks......

Weather has been absolutely appalling in Northampton, aside from that brief interlude around the night of the Eurovision Song Contest (don't ask...), practically ever since the clock went forward. I think I've managed to get my equipment out once in the last three months!

Absolutely cannot wait for the Autumn and Winter for the earlier hours (and hopefully better weather!).

I've ran out of mods to do to my scope and equipment, spent way too much money on astro kit so its just a case of waiting.....

I left the computer running the other day with a page open to a thread on here about Stephen O'Meara's Messier Objects book, as a surprise my lovely wife bought it from Amazon and it arrived today! So now I have something to keep me occupied again, very happy! :)

When it's Summer I look forward to Autumn, in autumn my mind wanders to the upcoming glorious crisp winter skies, in winter I yearn for the warmer spring nights and the constellations they bring, in spring I think about Summer nights, the glories of Cygnus and watching for Perseids...when it's Summer I look forward to Autumn...

I'm still hoping we get a summer...

James

This, I have been hoping that for two years now which has left me hoping for winter in the end which has been so bad it left me wanting summer all over again.

Autumn and Spring would do as well as long as things would clear up.

Archived