Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

sunshine185

should I stay our should I go?

Ok here's the deal, have only ever done my observing from my Oldham back yard but I've been invited out to go somewhere with darker sky to do some observing. Its probably only going to be a one off then will be back in my garden. Now if I go will it put me off observing from my garden, once I've seen how dark the sky can be I'm afraid I will just look out at my local sky and think " what's the point" so far I've had a great time and seen some amazing things from my garden and it will only get better now that I've got a 10" dob, the old saying goes, "you don't miss what you never had" what's your thoughts?

Edited by sunshine185

Go out. I would if I could, and I don't think it would put me off observing from the back garden, but a clear night is much more productive from a dark site.

By all means go and enjoy the dark sky.

It shouldn't really influence your own backyard astronomy, which can be improved via filters.

You should consider a portable enclosure to keep out extaneous light, which is the real bugbear in observational work.

One thing the dark sky site will do for you, is increase your desire to come to SGL's Star Parties when they happen.

You really will enjoy those, and make lots of friends too. :grin:

Ron.

Ohh.... Do go !!

I have a dark(ish) sky sit about an hour away from me. It's a fabulous opportunity to see some fusses you won't see elsewhere.

Go... to paraphrase Bachman Turner Overdrive, any observing's good observing so you won't be put off from back yarding it... IMHO.

Go.

2 sayings from LL:

It is better to regret doing something then not doing something.

Sucumb to temptation, it may never pass your way again.

I must admit, after seeing some really good dark skies I found it hard to observe at my in town address afterwards... I also for a long time refused to even look through a bigger telescope than I had in case it spoiled it for me in future. I cured this in two ways, 1) I got into imaging and 2) I made really sure I was able to go back out to the sticks again involving some serious effort getting to know the owner of the land I'd used. I also got a bigger scope.

Also, as others have said, it's probably far better to have seen dark skies than not at all, you'll be quite amazed at the difference.

James

Absolutely no question. You should go. Only observing from LP sites gives false impressions as to what is observable visually. Dark skies make a huge difference and everyone should experience them once IMO.

Certainly go - and I hope the awful British weather smiles on you just this once! Does it have to be a one-off? Can you not get to a reasonably dark location within a reasonable distance of your back yard (I presume you have means of transporting your Dob around). Check out some local rural sites. Get advice from others who live in your area.

I can completely understand why you think it will put you off, to be honest I feel the same and my garden isn't too bad for LP but those trips to dark sites are really what its all about. So yep I think you should definitely go, then work out how you can go regulary. :)

I do agree that you should go... But I remember the first time I went to Kelling and saw the nice dark skies... It put me off going out at home for months :(

But you get over it and then every subsequent trip to dark skies gets easier and easier. Never turn down a trip to darker skies!

Ant

You could Set your self targets ... save the faint stuff for dark skies, tick off the planets/bright stuff are home

• Like 1

father_ted_mrs_doyle.jpg

Go on, go on go on go on, GO ON!

I have a dark site which I do about 30% of my observing from, the rest from my back garden, I enjoy both.

Edited by Pug

You could Set your self targets ... save the faint stuff for dark skies, tick off the planets/bright stuff are home

Thats what I have been doing, Messiers from home and galaxies and fainter nebulas at dark sites. Still makes you wonder how much better those Messiers would look from a darker location. :rolleyes:

The answer certainly has to be a big yes, you must go. The biggest single factor that can make a difference to your observing is a dark sky and so any opportunity to go should be met by a car full of kit ready for directions! I live in a big city and luckily I don't have to go too far and although there are moments when it can be a bit of a hassle compared to someone rolling back their observatory roof, the end more than justifies the means. Also at a dark site you will free less inhibited in your conversation, moving the scope about etc than in your own garden at 3:00am in the morning where the smallest noise sounds like you've just kicked over a trash can.

I wouldn't be put off either by enjoying a better experience. We have all looked through some monster scope that showed what we are supposed to be looking at :grin: and although many of us will probably never own such a beast, this positive experience does stay with you to enhances your own experience when observing with your own kit.

C'mon, start packing your car with your kit! :grin: :grin: :grin:

James

Final go\no go for dark skies:

Car ready: Go !

Gear ready: Go !

Weather forecast: Go !

Flight director (missus) : Go !

Sunshine, you are go for darker skies ! :grin:

Yes go. Otherwise you will never know how good (or bad) you back garden is. Anyway the sight of a good dark sky is a joy and most of us have to go back to what little we have after each vist to a dark sky site.

Go... to paraphrase Bachman Turner Overdrive, any observing's good observing so you won't be put off from back yarding it... IMHO.

I thought you were going to say go because..... "you ain't seen nuthin' yet!" :biggrin:

sunshine185: Does going to the cinema put you off watching tv? Have fun and say "wow" to the milky way for me. :grin: