Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 82deg EP choice.

russ.will

Having dumped any pretence of having the time to indulge in imaging, I've joined the Dob Mob. This means I can now concentrate my funds on eyepieces and anyway, the 300p FlexTube seems to emphasize the shortcomings of my BST Explorers edge of field, somewhat more than the 200p Explorer did.

The SW 32mm Panaview seems happy enough, so that can stay as my low power/finder EP. I therefore need a mid/low, mid/high and high power EP. I'm liking the look of the Explore Scientific 82deg range and the sale prices in the States, make them silly value, even if I get caught for 4% import tax and 20% VAT. An ES 14mm (at worst) stacks up at £120 (plus shipping) against £158 retail in the UK and that's one of the lower cost difference ratios in the range. It's £95 if it slips through the customs net.

I've ruled out the 30mm as the Panaview is good enough and 24mm as it's FOVs is too close to that of the 32mm Panaview anyway. The 4.7mm would give 320x mag, so that's out too. The 18mm seems good to go for the mid/low EP, so that's in the cart. This leave the 6.7mm (223x), 8.8mm (170x), 11mm (136x) & 14mm (107x) to match with the 83x and 47x.

I'm leaning toward the 11mm and 6.7mm. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. :)

Russell

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read things (on the dark side) claiming the ES 82 and UWA are one and the same, some say with different coatings. Either way, near identical performance by most accounts.

If TH has the FL you're interested in it's not a bad deal at £116, in contrast to their ES pricing! It's only when you stray into the longer FL that importing becomes more lucrative. The 14mm is on sale at US$99... so factoring in, say, $15 for shipping, 4% duty and 20% vat, then the £8 royal mail scandal, then I'd estimate just under £100 each, give or take minor fluctuations in exchange rate. Don't feel too disheartened though, this is the 2nd ES sale I've noticed in the past year, only sadly the prices are better this time around :mad:

My 6SE also has FL = 1500mm, and I find the 8.8 useful on decent nights, otherwise I'm pushing out to the 11mm. I've used my shorter FL planetary on one or two occasions so far, but I'm sure that speaks for the accuracy of my weather judging than anything else :eek:

I use my ES 6.7mm/82, 11mm/82, 14mm/82, 20mm/68, and 24mm/68 for my 12" dob and they all perform very well and am thinking of purchasing the 8.8mm in the very near future. You won't be disappointed in any of them.

These appear to be very similar optically to the meade uwa. Telescope house is selling these at an excellent price which could be worth considering? I had the 8.8mm and for £116 it's about the price of a hyperion!

Meade Series 5000 Eyepieces

andrew

I suppose the main problem is, the line lacks the mid/low focal length, the 18mm, which is the cornerstone of this proposal. They are good prices though.

I also wonder about claims of being optically similar, not least because it ignores other aspects of the EPs construction. It's not like we're talking about BST/Olivion/Paradigm levels of subtle differences here. Even if we ignore the fact the coatings 'may' be different, the nitrogen purged, waterproof construction, seems to imply a different level of quality and potentially QC. A Skoda Superb may be an Audi A6 on the cheap, but you won't find Audi owners worrying that they could of spent less.

Russell

My 6SE also has FL = 1500mm, and I find the 8.8 useful on decent nights, otherwise I'm pushing out to the 11mm. I've used my shorter FL planetary on one or two occasions so far, but I'm sure that speaks for the accuracy of my weather judging than anything else :eek:
Thanks, that's interesting. I currently have a 5 & 8mm EP for planet peeping, but find the 5mm too long, whereas the 8mm feels a fraction short. The 8mm is therefore more often used, but I wonder if the gap between the ES 8.8mm and 11mm is a touch close? I'd be sorted if they had made a 12 or 13mm, instead of the 11mm, hence my starting this thread. Your feedback is very helpful in this respect. :)

Russell

Russ,

I'm afraid I'm an ES junkie, importing them all from the US. I have the 11 and 14mm 82*, the older 30mm 82*, the 20mm 68* and the 16mm 68* on the way. I use them in my 10" Dob. I like the 82*s but I have to say I'm impressed with the clarity of the 68* range. I have suffered recently from EP fever, with all this cloud. I am VERY tempted to get the 18mm 82* at the current US price, it would be perfect at 100x for the 16" LB on the way. I know I'll end up with too many EPs, but I find the ES range very tempting. I haven't gone below 11mm though as I keep telling myself the Barlow will get me there.

Bart

Thanks, but if I may ask - If you had to drop one of your current EPs, which would it be? My clepto tendencies mean I will more than likely augment my initial purchase in the future, but I'd be interested to know which one of your current crop is the most 'occasional'.

Russell

The reason for my needing the 8.8mm is that the 6.7mm is used only under very good seeing conditions which is very rare. The 11mm in this regard is my favorite ep, especially for planetary viewing, but I think I can push the scope a little further than that.

The 14mm was my latest acquisition and that has turned out to be my favorite for globs. I gave some thought about the 18mm also but did not want to go 2". I'm pretty happy with the 20mm/68 as well.

Well, I found someone with all three (I decided on the 8.8, 11 & 18mm) in stock at the same price as OptCorp, who only show them on back order.

An additional $27 dollars for first class international shipping (do they get more leg room?) and now I wait to see if customs clock them or not....

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm left wondering if they stuffed them in one box and if so, what value was on the shipping note. If it's marked as a *gift* then it should slide though without tax/duty/admin charges. We'll see, but it still stacks up very well against the UK price, even if I do get unlucky.:)

Russell

I have the 30 mm and 14 mm 82 degree ES eyepieces and I must say they're very good value indeed. They play well at fast focal ratios. They're routinely on sale and I think this sale is better value than that which preceded it.

An item appearing in the classifieds with a more refined sense of timing, I have yet to see. Cretin. :mad:

I do find it ironic that an owner bathed in green lettering would consider an ES EP to plug gaps in his lineup. I was torn for ages because of the TV boys banging in about 13mm TV this, that and the other, being the perfect/most used EP in a scope of my focal length. The ES14mm skewed the jumps in magnification, but the 11mm which satisfied this criteria seemed a little short. Now, here's someone wanting a ES to plug a gap in his TV focal lengths.

We're all damned to keep on spending, aren't we? :(

Russell

Come to think of it, there seems to be a serious number of ES owners posting in this thread, whilst I don't notice such a presence in threads asking for EP recommendations in general. Just today, I noted a bloke recommending a Panoptic, in a thread asking for a 1.25" 25mm EP under a £100, so why is it that ES owners aren't so emboldened?

Are we* less delusional about about £/performance ratios, or simply more silently smug, free from needing to justify a large fiscal outlay publicly in order to assuage our own guilt. I think we should be told!

Russell

*I say we, on the basis of having committed the necessary Shilling, if not yet actually having felt the width.

Maybe :D

I suspect part of it is also the relative cost of the ES and their availability over here. The SW Nirvana for example, frequently comes up as good alternative although is available in only 4 FL. Then you get the peer review factor. People will buy and report on what's readily available.

Personally, I'm relatively new to all this, and the curious side of me wants to see these things for myself... the only problem being I either need to buy or borrow the more expensive options to compare :D The frugal side of me sees the cost of importing one and weighs that up against the risk of getting a duff one. I figure I can always sell it on later and get a Nagler.

From what I've read, some of the models of the ES82 range have some quirks, but the same could probably be said of the Nagler too... discussions of 12T4 vs 13T6, for example. Ultimately, no EP is perfect for everyone as we're all geometrically different and coupled to the different scopes we all have, it comes down to what differences we can see and how much value we put on that. So far I only have slow scopes, and given my inexperienced eye I reckon I'd not see the difference... but it'd be a fun experiment finding out (but that's just me :eek: )

When it comes the the Panoptics and ES68... I've not seen anywhere selling the ES68 in the UK, but they're getting very good reports in the US, giving the proven Panoptic a run for its money. I don't own a Panoptic, but considering reports from other folk that's high praise.

Come to think of it, there seems to be a serious number of ES owners posting in this thread, whilst I don't notice such a presence in threads asking for EP recommendations in general. Just today, I noted a bloke recommending a Panoptic, in a thread asking for a 1.25" 25mm EP under a £100, so why is it that ES owners aren't so emboldened?

Are we* less delusional about about £/performance ratios, or simply more silently smug, free from needing to justify a large fiscal outlay publicly in order to assuage our own guilt. I think we should be told!

Russell

*I say we, on the basis of having committed the necessary Shilling, if not yet actually having felt the width.

Or maybe they feel intimidated by the green-on-black crowd

Am I asking for trouble to ask why so many people seem to buy stuff from OPT, I did this once and when all the taxes were paid it cost me more than if I had got it from the Meade dealer. Soon people will be asking I wonder why that telescope shop went out of business. I guess with an eyepiece there is not to much to go wrong but if it was a CCD then look at the problems you are going to have sending it back.

Alan.

I have the Meade 6.7mm which I am told is the same, excellent eyepiece in every way.

Alan.

I'm not saying you're totally wrong. Clearly the shared focal lengths indicate a shared DNA in the optical configuration, but unless you know the exact formulations off the coatings the two manufacturers specify, it's hard to say in 'every way' with 100% confidence.

Then there's the total physical disparity, nitrogen purged waterproof construction of the ES eyepieces...

Russell

Archived