Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cepheïde V1 in Andromeda

pietervdv

Hi all,

After reading an article about Variable star V1, I tried to find it on my Andromeda picture from 2 years ago. And I've got it!

This star might be the most important in the history of Astronomy. Edwin Hubble discovered this star in 1923 using the 100 inch Hooker telescope at Mount Wilson, at that time the biggest telescope in the world. Hubble used this variable star to determine that the Andromeda galaxy was beyond the borders of our own Milky Way, this finding revolutionized the way astronomers look at the Universe.

The image was made 2 years ago over 2 nights in Southern France under the most stable sky I have ever seen down there. (exposure around 10 hrs)

Scope was the trusted TeleVue np101, ccd st 8300, mount em-200.

Full size images here:

med: http://www.astronomi...es_variable.jpg

full: http://www.astronomi...ariable_big.jpg

Enjoy!

Thanks,

Pieter

hubbles_variable_thumb.jpg

amazing work. really well done. what would it take to repeat this over time a create a light curve? :Envy:

Thanks, well it can be done I guess. But I would need a very dark sky to do it again.

regards,

Pieter

Hi all,

After reading an article about Variable star V1, I tried to find it on my Andromeda picture from 2 years ago. And I've got it!

Pretty stable foundations with which to land an image after 10hrs - something I can only dream of perhaps.

Was this your equipment? Fantastic result!

np101.jpg

Really fascinating work and great image Pieter! I was avoiding M31 because there are too many cool images of it, but I'll try our approach. It is too interesting to try to image a star within other galaxy to miss it :)

Archived