Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nothing in Sight

GWS

Hi folks,

I'm a weird astronomer - the only equipment I've got so far is a pair of ageing eyes .. :rolleyes:

I've splashed out on a £4 Xbox cam so far - everything else is undecided.

Probably have to save up for a bit of 1.25" plastic tube next - another 50p I suppose :grin:

It's an expensive hobby this ..

So I'm looking around for a tube with a glass lens at the moment, so I can peep at those little white things you see in the sky every now and then.

I might have a bit to learn I suppose ..

All the best, :smiley:

Graham

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Graham and welcome to SGL, make sure you get a nice bit of tube with a decent bit of glass in the end, t makes all the difference, both to viewing the little white things and your pocket :)

John.

Hi Graham,

Good to see you on the SGL! I'm sure the guys here will be more than willing to offer some suggestions as to what setup will give you what you want. As I mentioned to you last night, the webcam is just one of the options for some AP - and so far (at £4) probably one of the cheapest! Just add 'Scope and 'Puter....

Wishing you Clear Skies and Dark Nights!

Matt

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I'm planning on going plastic tube shopping today (for my xbox cam). I'm sure they don't just sell it in short lengths, so I will pop over with some for you at some point soon.

Matt :)

So I'm looking around for a tube with a glass lens at the moment, so I can peep at those little white things you see in the sky every now and then.

Graham

...I can only imagine that you're talking about clouds.

Welcome to SGL Graham!

Hi Graham and welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong in taking your time when it comes to astronomy - the stars aren't going anywhere! I'm sure there might come a time when you might want to take a closer look at what is above you and participating in a local astro club's observation evening is a good way to access the views offered by the member's own scopes. Scopes today are so much cheaper than they used to be and even a modest 4" reflector will show you more than an expensive pair of binoculars.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum.

James

Hello Graham. I've had the tube with bits of glass inside for a couple of months now and still don't know what to do with it :huh:

I'm sure if I hang around here long enough I'll get some ideas :grin:

Good luck

Jason

Thanks for the kind welcome folks .. :smiley:

@Matt> cripes are you going to save me the 50p on the bit of white tube ? Ooh cheapsville!

@jamesM> thanks for your thoughts .. I shall be looking around my little town to see if there's any club activity. The library will be a good place to start I reckon.

@jason.p> Hah .. that's where I'm at as well, but my tube's just virtual at the moment ..

I've got a vague concept forming for a nice working arrangement, but it will need some checking out for practicality. Today, I have established that my shed computer does have a serial port .. progress. :grin:

best wishes,

Graham

Hi ToxoLight,

I had some x80's a while back. Trouble was, the little white things kept moving about .. :eek:

I figured either it was - the whiskey, my arm muscles had gone into spasm, or I should have worn something warmer .. :tongue:

best wishes, :smiley:

Graham

Archived