Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camping looks complicated

The one thing I am looking for is a kingsize sheet of goretex to cover my duvets and keep the morning damp off the top of the duvet, I tried an army bivi sheet but that just gets damp underneath as well as on top.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nick,

Gore Tex is a nice idea...... but there still maybe problems.

My understanding is (and I am not an expert but I am a keen mountain walker), Goretex works best when the outside layer is dry as this allows maximum transmission of sweat (body heat!!) from the inner layer to escape to the outer layer.

However, if the outer layer becomes soaked then the body heat finds it difficult to pass to the outer layer, in fact you get wet with the sweat on the inside layer.

In the 30+ years that Gore Tex has been available there have been improvements. There is a material called Nikwax Analogy used by Paramo for their range of mountain garments is reasonable.

I assume that you have a nylon tent if the top of your duvet is damp, as nylon builds up more condensation than a polycotton tent.

So, given the above, the the top layer may become wet and breathability is lost.

Trust the above is helpful.

Cheers

Adrian

The one thing I am looking for is a kingsize sheet of goretex to cover my duvets and keep the morning damp off the top of the duvet, I tried an army bivi sheet but that just gets damp underneath as well as on top.

google thermal bedchair cover for carpfishing, these have a micro fibre underside plus the top side is waterproof, and fit over a double bed

Hi Lulu,

Just don't kick that bucket!!!!

Cheers

Adrian

I'm sure to tread carefully!

Wouldn't be without the blue-bucket-with-a-lid on a frosty night at Lucksall, especially after one or two bevvies. ;)

I have been to lots of star parties over recent years - yes I remember your impressive fold up "caravan" Tich. I have two tents, a small pop up one for when i am only stopping for one night, and a Vango Tigress which takes much more effort and time to put up for when I am stopping for several days and want a bit more space and comfort. However I used to take everything but the kitchen sink with me and it used to take me hours to pack and unpack (especially as much of it has to come out of the loft). So I have been trying to think of ways to minimise and hit on the idea of taking our mini oven with me which works fine on the Hook up, this means I can heat up packaged meals and saves me lots of tools, food preparation and washing up.

Carole

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ages back in this thread I meant to do an inventory but its a big hassle to get all the gear out. This week I am heading off with a friend for a bit of stargazing and so I had to get all the gear out. Its a real swine as I have to lug this lot down 4 floors to get to the van.

This is a list of all the camping gear - its doesnt inlcude stuff you will need in addition - ie bucket, toilet rolls, your own clothes etc etc - this is purely the camping infrastructure for a pleasant few days. You can see how expensive it gets in the total. Yeah you can live without stuff but this has taken me maybe 4 years to get to - buying a bit at a time. Camping and then wishing 'I wish I had.....' etc

The cold weather clothing probably cost as much for two of us as well. Fleeces, warmers, good socks, better boots etc etc.

The cold weather clothes cost a bomb but its all worth it when the temp nose dives.

Anyway thought some people might like a list. The prices are only guesstimates......

post-2158-0-93301700-1348000773_thumb.jp

Archived