Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from China!! Ni hao!

keeplookingup

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THere are so many scope companies out there that I have a hard time determining which is really good and who is out to scam people.

the names Orion, meade and celestron always come up but i am seeing stuff online about other companies.

Since I am in China already I wonder where the "biggies" get their scopes made? I am willing to bet it iin fujian or zhejiang provinces.

Synta (Skywatcher, Celestron) is in Jinagsu, Bosma and JOC (Explore Scientific, Meade Europe, Bresser) is located in Guangdong. Kunming United Optics is located in Yunnan. Intanne is in Nanjing. Tianlang is in Bejing.

I don't know any major player in Fujian or Zhejiang.

There is a company called Phoenix in Ningbo, Zhejiang who makes a lot of ebay scope, essentially Tasco's Chinese counterpart. Avoid

Hi Dave, the scopes already mentioned, Celestron, Sky Watcher, Meade and Orion USA are all pretty good makes. Slow & fast is harder to explain, slow scopes are those with longer focal ratios, whilst fast scopes are better for photography and wide field studies and have a much shorter focal ratio, good for DSO's (Deep Sky Objects). Slower scopes are better for planets and Moon but will still do DSO's, but the longer the focal ratio, the narrower the field of view, I find f/9 the perfect ratio for me. At the end of the day it is down to personal preferences and what you want to see.

this place is great! all you guys gave such great feedback and warm welcomes.

as a novice and no experience with scopes i have too much to learn.

it seems that i will have to go visiually for awhile before i get into imagining. ...budget and no experience yet.

i still would like a good scope that is portable and not too big.

i didn't like how the eyepiece and viewing place of the scope on the reflector is in an area which i find to be a bit uncomfortable.

but i have to regress here. i haven't spent much time on scopes so i think a visit to the stores is in order so I can have a good look and try different scopes.

thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

thanks all.

i have been watching the forum and reading stuff and reviewing online.

seems ill wait to see the condition of my sisters 4.5 inch reflector which I may bring back home with me. if not, ill buy a 6-8 dob. because only going to do viewing.

but also, seems good size binoculars are a good choice as well! :)

Archived