PST visual fault?

My new PST is showing the following visual fault when pointed at the sun without an EP in

post-13264-0-60148000-1340285945_thumb.j

post-13264-0-20043000-1340285959_thumb.j

According to Meade there is nothing wrong but I've always struggled getting precise focus.

Have any other PST owners come across this same problem.

Meade say it may be an internal reflection or a refelction from the digital microscope used to take the photo

Yes it is a Mexican one and this is the sceond fault I have found on it, the first was a scratched filter.

Thanks Nigel

How is it with an eyepiece? Is the internal prism misaligned? If you remove the side panel of the black box there's a 5-sided prism in there which should have 2 surfaces at right angles to eachother, running parallel to the top and front end of the black box. Sometimes these slip out of alignment causing astigmatism. They can usually be rectified by careful adjustment. Poor performance by Meade though.

I have not had a look inside cos its new and I don't want to mess up the warranty.

I'm dying to open it up though to resolve this issue as its reached a bit of a stalemete.

Problem is if I opened it up and found something they may still refuse to fix it because i've opened it.

Bit of a dilemma eh?

Any wise words appreciated.

By the way its only the area highlighted on the attached photo I think the rest are internal reflections etc. To me this area looks like its scratched but as I don't know whats inside I can't figure it out.

post-13264-0-10950100-1340304011_thumb.j

When did you purchase the scope? If it is recent I would agree with Ken (Merlin66) and return it to the retailer. Your PST should give a sharp image of the Sun with proms and surface detail visible. If you don't have that view you must have a faulty scope so return it.

Mark

• 3 months later...

Archived