Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeB

Southern Hemisphere Jewels from Melbourne City Centre

I'm currently on a business trip to Melbourne and had the foresight to bring my cheap and nasty 10x50's that I don't mind having putting in as hold luggage on the plane. I couldn't take my decent bins as I'm lugging a laptop, so would be too much hassle take as hand luggage as well.

A couple of nights ago I was walking back from the office to my hotel across the centre of town and noticed a pretty decent clear sky. Decided to get the bins out and go to the small park opposite the hotel to see what I could find - not having any familiarity with the southern sky. I was very surprised at how much I saw from the city centre - light pollution is nowehere near as bad as I get from my home in London. Centaurus and Crux were near the zenith slap bang in the middle of the winter milky way. There are a lot of very bright clusters in that region from Centaurus through Carinae. In 20 mins I bagged NGC 2516, NGC 3114, NGC 3293, IC 2602, NGC 3532, all of which are some of the loveliest binocular objects I've seen.

The icing on the cake was Omega-Centauri; a globular cluster that makes M13 look like a mote of dust. Utterly gobsmaking. Very bright and about 3 times the size of M13.

I'm here for another week and can't wait for another clear sky!!

• Like 1

Ooh, that brings back memories from my stay in Sydney last year! I brought 15x70s, and the objects seen there were just great! Hope you get more opportunities to look.

Don't forget Centaurus A. (NGC 5128). Beautiful in binoculars, the Carina region is mind blowing with dozens of Open Clusters.

Best of luck for your remaining time down under,

ATB ... Eddie

ω Cent is about 4° south of NGC 5128 (Centaurus A). My 7 x 50's show both in the same field.

Edited by pixelsaurus

GeorgeB, you are wetting my wish list of viewing objects to see before my trip to OZ for the November Total Eclipse, hope I have clear skies as well? As for the British version of clear skies, cannot remember that far back!

Peter

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Eta Carina fan
      Hi. I live in Santiago, Chile, and on a recent trip back home to the US, bought a new Explore Scientific Exos100 PMC mount, to use here for AP with my DSLR and AT72ED scope. I have the ExploreStars app  installed on my iPad, and it links fine, with slewing controls working from the tablet. My problem is, despite the fact that the app displays correctly my southern hemisphere location, the mount tracks as if it were in the northern hemisphere. I cannot find a hemisphere switch on the unit (like found on my SW Star Adventurer). I have written to ES but so far, no response.  I am hoping to connect with EXOS100 users in So Africa, Australia or other southern hemisphere locations, to learn directly from them how they overcame this issue.  Thanks!
    • By BinocularSky
      The August edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * A grazing occultation of a bright star
      * Moon occulting stars in the Hyades
      * See both ice giants as well as Vesta
      * Review of the Celestron EclipSmart 10x25 solar binocular
      I hope it helps you to get the best out of these late summer nights with your binoculars or small telescopes.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.
      Warning: Do not attempt to observe the Sun with any optical system that is not specifically designed for the purpose.
    • By MaHa
      Hi all, 
      I've decided to stay in the house tonight with the anticipation of some clear skies later on, and to hopefully get the chance of splitting a few double stars - something that I've never done before. After a while looking through some charts at my desk with a rather nice glass of red, I've come to the conclusion that Cygnus and the Northern Cross seem like a pretty good place to start. 
      My first port of call will definitely be Albireo at the foot of the Cross.. I'm excited about this one as it sounds like a beautiful view through a pair of binoculars, not to mention the easiest to find! I'll then move over to the Cygnus triple all being well and then the three doubles (Mu Cygni, 79 Cygni and 61 Cygni). 
      Now all that's left to do is await the darkness, and hope the clouds disappear! 
      Hope you're all having a great weekend.
      Cheers, Mark 😁

• By Kcks Regulus Star
      On the 2nd of July I closed my curtains one night before I went to bed but, before they were shut I noticed a strange multicoloured light flickering low in the sky in the northern celestial hemisphere. I Thought to myself if that is a star it looks amazing. The next night (3rd of July) I decided to take another look at this multicoloured light which was still there, Only this time I used my binoculars, I was seeing blues, greens & reds. We have all seen stars by looking up into the sky but, I have never seen a star create multi colours before. It makes you feel excited inside and you think that no one else can see this until you tell them and share the same experience together. I believe I was looking at the Capella Star which is the brightest star in the constellation Auriga and your not kidding it is bright. I cant wait to have another look tonight to see if the multi colours are still there. I would like to have taken at picture of it but I am not setup to do that just yet as I am very new to star gazing. I wish someone here can confirm what I saw and to post a picture of it would be awesome. 
      Nikon Prostaff 3s 8 x 42
    • By Mark Daniels
      Thought this might be of interest
      made binocular tripod modification to use my25x100 celestrons. The original tripod was redundent so added £30 of steel and bits and it works well. Bit of refining but may be later!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.