SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Jewels from Melbourne City Centre

I'm currently on a business trip to Melbourne and had the foresight to bring my cheap and nasty 10x50's that I don't mind having putting in as hold luggage on the plane. I couldn't take my decent bins as I'm lugging a laptop, so would be too much hassle take as hand luggage as well.

A couple of nights ago I was walking back from the office to my hotel across the centre of town and noticed a pretty decent clear sky. Decided to get the bins out and go to the small park opposite the hotel to see what I could find - not having any familiarity with the southern sky. I was very surprised at how much I saw from the city centre - light pollution is nowehere near as bad as I get from my home in London. Centaurus and Crux were near the zenith slap bang in the middle of the winter milky way. There are a lot of very bright clusters in that region from Centaurus through Carinae. In 20 mins I bagged NGC 2516, NGC 3114, NGC 3293, IC 2602, NGC 3532, all of which are some of the loveliest binocular objects I've seen.

The icing on the cake was Omega-Centauri; a globular cluster that makes M13 look like a mote of dust. Utterly gobsmaking. Very bright and about 3 times the size of M13.

I'm here for another week and can't wait for another clear sky!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GeorgeB, you are wetting my wish list of viewing objects to see before my trip to OZ for the November Total Eclipse, hope I have clear skies as well? As for the British version of clear skies, cannot remember that far back!

Peter

Archived