SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky at night magazine.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just browsing through my first copy of Astronomy Now. At first it looked a bit "scientific", but then there's a good section on practical astronomy which even I can sort of understand. (Having said that, the scientific articles are a good read). Think I'll try a few others before going for a subscription. "Sky at Night" and "Sky and Telescope" seem worth a look. Trouble is our local mag shops are a bit limited (unless tractors are your thing!)

Like others have said, reading about it is the next best thing to actually doing it, which is proving difficult at the moment.

Hi Patrick Moore used to write a yearly book called, I think ," The Yearbook of Astronomy" I had them from about 1967 through to 1978 I wonder if he still produces them ?

Gordon

He does, I have the 2012 ed sat by the sofa as I type.

Hi

I look forward to to the mag , up to the last issue they have stopped the monthly review by Paul Money and that was one of the thing I liked about the mag

I do like the DVD tell you what to look for that month

I'll be looking at a mag to subscribe too, but I prefer science stuff, not reviews for stuff I'll never be able to afford.

Which is best for that, in your opinion?

Unlike many markets sectors that consumer magazines cater to (computers, mobile phones, TV/Audio, cars and so on), neither SatN nor AN really devote all that much space to reviews. Both mags cover the science, but AN is probably more technical and in-depth where SatN may cover the same stuff, but presents it in a much easier style. Which you prefer is, at the end of the day, up to you.

Well having said I hadn't seen Astronomy Now.... what happens I walk in to Tesco and whats there.... AN.. so I purchased it. Comparing it with SAN I thought at a quick glance there was more content in AN but it was slightly less glossy. Need to read the articles to make a full comparison but it looked full of information about how to do things not just big articles about big things.

Having subscribed to other magazines I can say they all tend to repeat after a while year on year and thus I have now adopted a browse in the shop and buy if interesting policy..

Nick

Yep, I must admit that I prefer Astronomy Now, but agree that the Sky at Night is good for beginners. Now did someone mention Sky and Telescope? I like that too and get the digital version emailed to me each month - not as good as turning actual pages, but considerably cheaper!

I've got a subscription with The Sky At Night and as most people have said on here it's very good for the beginner. The Coverdisc is very useful and the magazine itself is great to read without getting too deep. I've also tried a couple of issues of Astronomy Now which is very good but seems more technical and covers items in more depth.

So from a novice's viewpoint i chose The Sky At Night subscription.

Yes its a great Mag , I look forward to getting mine as it comes out down here in Darwin , its only a fews days late now , but when I first started buying it , it was anything up to 3 weeks out of date .

I think a lot more people are buying it here downunder , and Oh yea the free discs a great , I have a few boxes of them and I especially like the older episodes of ' The Sky at Nights ' programs , a real step back in time some of the older episodes , have we come a long way or what ? simply awsome to see that now .

Brian.

Archived