Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky at night magazine.

I am thinking of taking out a subscription to the sky at night magazine as I want to learn more about astronomy as I really love my telescope and thought it would give me something to read on the cloudy nights.

Do you think it is very useful to a beginner as I don't want to receive a load of magazines full of things I won't understand as I'm very new to astronomy.

What do you think?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAN is a great idea - but just buy one from the newsagent first to see how you get on with it. If you find it suitable then go for the subscription. You'll find astronomy is a reasonably technical hobby depending on how far you take it. But SAN presents it very well for the uninitiated without getting overbearing - it is well suited to the beginner and the more profficient amateur, with a good spread of articles for both, and a very useful monthly night sky guide. Good luck :)

I bought a few issues about a year ago having taken up astronomy as I knew absolutely nothing. Along with the knowledge I have learnt from the good people on SGL I have taken out a subsciption to S@N and I find it excellent. Always lots of interesting articles and info. Along with the starcharts and the monthly guide I really look forward to every issue. Also the included cd which has past episodes of the Sky At Night and the virtual planitarium. And the subscription is much cheaper than buying it from a newsagent.

The deep sky planning stuff is very good, the reviews am not sure about - they've just changed over to a new format, but there's always a half page of witless drivel written by a Dr that's meant to be amusing, but which is just a waste of space - before you subscribe, I'd have a look at the other Mags that are available too.

Chris

The current subscription offer is three issues for £5. You can cancel after three, if you like, or let the subsciption continue at £19.99 every six months. As the cover price is £4.75 this is still a considerable saving.

I never buy the magazines anymore, compared to books they are not a good investment. There are many great books especially by Patrick Moore to get you started. 2 of my favorites that I still use were first published in 1959 and 1961. I find the magazines repeat themsleves too much and are generally about 50% adverts. The Sky at Night programmes can be seen on iplayer and other sites, and there is plenty of stuff on websites to keep you up to date with current developments and month by month objects to view.

Amazon has lots of great books at just 1p + postage, most of mine are from charity shops and car boots.

Paul

So do I! Seriously, SaT is a great mag for all levels. Just picked up the July issue and it looks good.

Have we jumped ship and gone over to Sky&Telescope Lol, I would agree S&N is a good read but as has also been pointed out there are many books to be had for as little as 10P like Darren Bushnell`s "Observing the Deep Sky" a very informative paperback running to some 170pp which covers sketching of the many popular DSO in some depth :)

John.

I took out the cheap offer in January but have now cancelled. There is nothing wrong with the magazine but I never got excited when it dropped through the letterbox which suggested it wasn't hitting the right buttons. For me it is something I will pick up occasionally when I see it has something I am really interested in.

I read it from cover to cover and I do get exited when it arrives. Always something of interest, always useful tips on using your equipment and DIY projects. Well worth trying it out for a quarter at least.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I picked up a few books on ebay. Universe by Roger A. Freedman, 800+ pages thick, full of interesting stuff, with a useful question section at the end of each chapter, to jog yr memory. I find these books very knowledgeable

When I took out my subscription they has an offer on where you could get a free book and also a large reduction in the published price and it is delivered to your door every month. I must say though that the past couple of copies have been delivered in a covered wrapper. Hope the postie doesn't think I am buying magazines with a dubious content, lol. :grin:

The deep sky planning stuff is very good, the reviews am not sure about - they've just changed over to a new format, but there's always a half page of witless drivel written by a Dr that's meant to be amusing, but which is just a waste of space - before you subscribe, I'd have a look at the other Mags that are available too.

Chris

What other mags are available? Its hard enough to find S@N in news agents round here? What other recommendations are there and why?

It is a good magazine (on par with astronomy Now for monthly items to view/read about) and you get a free CD to view. From the beginners side, it does help you out and hopefully not too confusing to understand. I read both ,ags from cover to cover and do not get bore with either of them. Try it for a couple of months and if it does not work out for you try another magazine.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Have we jumped ship and gone over to Sky&Telescope Lol, I would agree S&N is a good read but as has also been pointed out there are many books to be had for as little as 10P like Darren Bushnell`s "Observing the Deep Sky" a very informative paperback running to some 170pp which covers sketching of the many popular DSO in some depth :)

John.

Oops! Of course I meant SaN! :grin:

What other mags are available? Its hard enough to find S@N in news agents round here? What other recommendations are there and why?

Astronomy Now is a good read, with a slightly more technical bent than SatN. Other magazines would include the US based publications Astronomy and also Sky and Telescope.

+1 for Astronomy Now, its got a few more physics articles than S@N but nothing that isnt understandable. As for S@N we get it monthly and its a good choice, as said, buy one off the shelf and see what you think before subscribing.

Ive always like the look of 'Astronomy Now' & I did have it put aside at the newsagents for a while. Just picked up the latest issue for the article on 'inexpensive imaging' - good read. Plenty of other 'stuff' to keep your enthusiasm going while the cloud cover/light nights are here.

I subscribe to AN, S at N and also buy sky and telescope and love them all. However, if it's just observing aids you are after then a good book would probably serve you better. There are many articles that I find very interesting and informative but they're not going to help me at the scope. As recomended in previous posts, buy a few (WHS) and make up your own mind if its what yuo're after. Turn Left At Orion is probably more useful for viewing tips. HTH

Scott

I feel less inclined these days to buy the Sky @ Night magazine and will only check it out at the local supermarket to see if it has something of interest (review or special article). It is great for beginners and the enclosed CD does make it good value for the money, although I tend to look more online for my interests. The Sky Guide is great and much better since they started to include the larger detailed map and Sir Patrick's Moonwatch article is always interesting and probably the best part of the magazine.

Gordon, Sir Patrick still puts out a year book which you can view here.

James

Archived