Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution threat to Dengie Marshes

NGC 1502

Hi all. I'm Ed, a member of Castle Point Astronomy Club. I hope you don't mind me posting to your new group.

It has come to the notice of my club, that there is a new threat of light pollution to the Dengie Marshes, at least to the southern end where our dark site is located. I know you have been checking out the whole area. Our site is beyond a locked gate and permission for access is obtained from the landowner on an annual basis. It's not a pristine dark site, we can see light glow from Southend/Burnham/Maldon/Clacton. But it's so much better than most of us live with at home. Overhead and to the east is excellent, and we want to keep it that way.

So what's the new problem then ? The RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) has started a scheme entitled "Wallasea Island Wild Coast Project"

on the northern side of Wallasea Island, just across the river from the southern end of the Dengie marshes. A large conveyor belt has been installed to shift many thousands of tons of soil that is being brought from the London Crossrail project. So far so good, but all around that area, approximately 75 floodlights on tall pylons have been installed. To make things worse, they are pointing horizontally. Ouch !! Work is expected to continue until 2019.

Here are some pics, taken by a club member on Sunday 17th June - http://www.astromani...uk/Wallasea.jpg

We are being asked to send our concerns to wallasea@rspb.org.uk telephone 01702 258357.

If you guys can help out here, it would maybe change things for the better. I do think it's best to have a polite approach, because that is more likely to have a positive result. We are pointing out to them that the Dengie Marshes are important to us because of the much lower light pollution that allows us to do astronomy, both visual and imaging. We are asking if they could reduce the number of lights, or at the very least, angle them downwards, not horizontally.

Thanks for reading this, and any help you feel able to give. I'd join your group, but my spare time for astronomy is filled by CPAC.

All the best to your new group, I wish you all success, Ed.

Hi Ed, great to hear from you. However it is a shame it is with such dreadful news - I heard about the CrossRail/Wallasea project a few months back and at the time thought it was a wonderful idea of disposing of the thousand of tonnes of dirt and also going towards the creation of a new wildlife reserve - now you have pointed out the rather unpleasant side effects of the venture one feels inclined to be spurred into action. We need to look at this pragramtically - obviously this is going to happen regardless but as you say, the very best we can hope for is some consideration into how the lighting is implemented and what measures they intend to take to cut down on light pollution and protect pretty much the only dark skies that Essex has. I think in any communique that will have to be the selling point of this area - how a county as vast and Essex with such a long coastline, is so over developed that there are literally no dark skies - it is rather shameful for everyone one from the essex based Corporations to Essex County Council. I am sure I speak for the other members of our group when I say we are happy to lend a signature or send letters stating our despair at the issues you have mentioned.

FYI, we are not an organised club or society, merely a collective of amateur astronomers who have come together with a shared interest in the skies but without the cliqueyness or politics that sometimes comes with being part of a club.

Regardless, there is strength in numbers and I am happy to add my number to your concerned group.

Cheers!!

PS, love to take a crack at your dark site sometime!

Hi Ed,

welcome aboard !

you are more than welcome here, as Simms said, we're not an exclusive club, just a bunch of Essex boys that happen to be into Astronomy.

Do you have a standard letter to use that could be 'slightly tweaked' to make it look more personal.

We could post this in the main forums then and i'm sure we'd get more peeps to email ' wallasea@rspb.org.uk ' that way

Cheers

Hi Ed,

welcome aboard !

you are more than welcome here, as Simms said, we're not an exclusive club, just a bunch of Essex boys that happen to be into Astronomy.

Do you have a standard letter to use that could be 'slightly tweaked' to make it look more personal.

We could post this in the main forums then and i'm sure we'd get more peeps to email ' wallasea@rspb.org.uk ' that way

Cheers

Hi Knobby, thanks for the welcome.

Ok then, here goes with the 'standard letter' as suggested.

Dear Sir/Madam, I am a member of (state organisation) and am concerned about the large number of floodlights that have been installed at the Wallasea Island Wild Coast Project.

The Dengie Marshes are just across the River Crouch, and it is a favourite location for Essex astronomers. The much lower levels of light pollution are favourable for visual observing and imaging the night sky. It is very difficult to find such an area in Essex. Some Essex astronomers travel large distances to find other suitable sites, so the whole Dengie area is important to us. At night, light glow from bright lighting carries for a considerable distance. From the Dengie Marshes the glow from Southend, Burnham, Maldon and Clacton is readily apparent. The much closer lights at Wallasea are a great concern to Essex astronomers.

Please be assured that I am in full support of the Wallasea project. It will be a valuable resource for protecting wildlife and be a great place to visit. I wish the project all success.

I do understand the importance of providing a safe working environment for those working at Wallasea, especially at night.

However, as mentioned, the large number of floodlights at Wallasea is a concern. So I am asking if the number of flloodlights could perhaps be reduced, or at least pointed downwards. The horizontal positioning of the lights means that they will be very apparent for many miles. If they could be angled downwards, that would help to lessen the light pollution.

On the safety aspect, horizontally mounted floodlights are just as likely to cause an accident as to prevent one. A bright light shining in a persons face can make it difficult to see a hazard. If the the lights are aimed at the ground, then the area is illuminated, and workers less likely to be blinded by the flloodlight.

Thank you for reading this. As already mentioned, I wish the Wallasea project all success.

Very best regards (state individual or organisations name )

Please send to wallasea@rsbp.org.uk and feel free to alter as you think appropriate. I really do think that a polite and understanding approach to this issue is more likely to get a desired result however steamed up we may feel.

To all those who can help sort this, thanks a bunch :laugh: Ed.

Hi Knobby, thanks for the welcome.

Ok then, here goes with the 'standard letter' as suggested.

Dear Sir/Madam, I am a member of (state organisation) and am concerned about the large number of floodlights that have been installed at the Wallasea Island Wild Coast Project.

The Dengie Marshes are just across the River Crouch, and it is a favourite location for Essex astronomers. The much lower levels of light pollution are favourable for visual observing and imaging the night sky. It is very difficult to find such an area in Essex. Some Essex astronomers travel large distances to find other suitable sites, so the whole Dengie area is important to us. At night, light glow from bright lighting carries for a considerable distance. From the Dengie Marshes the glow from Southend, Burnham, Maldon and Clacton is readily apparent. The much closer lights at Wallasea are a great concern to Essex astronomers.

Please be assured that I am in full support of the Wallasea project. It will be a valuable resource for protecting wildlife and be a great place to visit. I wish the project all success.

I do understand the importance of providing a safe working environment for those working at Wallasea, especially at night.

However, as mentioned, the large number of floodlights at Wallasea is a concern. So I am asking if the number of flloolights could perhaps be reduced, or at least pointed downwards. The horizontal positioning of the lights means that they will be very apparent for many miles. If they could be angled downwards, that would help to lessen the light pollution.

On the safety aspect, horizontally mounted floodlights are just as likely to cause an accident as to prevent one. A bright light shining in a persons face can make it difficult to see a hazard.

If the the lights are aimed at the ground, then the area is illuminated, and workers less likely to be blinded by the flloodlight.

Thank you for reading this. As already mentioned, I wish the Wallasea project all success.

Very best regards (state individual or organisations name )

Please send to wallasea@rsbp.org.uk and feel free to alter as you think appropriate. I really do think that a polite and understanding approach to this issue is more likely to get a desired result however steamed up we may feel.

To all those who can help sort this, thanks a bunch :laugh: Ed.

Good stuff Ed

I'll skim through it tonight and with the groups approval, post it in the main forums

Hi all. I've had a reply from hilary.hunter@rspb.org.uk regarding the new floodlights at Wallasea Island.

It sounds encouraging, but we'll see.........

But it's friendly and they are listening.

Regards, Ed.

This sounds terribly obvious to me, but perhaps I am missing something. What is the RSPB's assessment of the effect on wildlife of large numbers of hozrizontal, bright floodlights?

I live in Essex (just), but at the really light polluted end. It's nice to know there are still some darkish places in the south east. Hope you get somewhere with getting the lights turned down.

I'd would've thought the RSPB would have already considered the potential environmental impact of such lighting.

Although, considering how floodlit Southend and Foulness are...maybe they thought it wouldn't notice.

Archived