Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Avdhoeven

EQ6 polar align beta - ultimate test

Yesterday I wanted to take images of NGC 7288 using a Takahashi FSQ106 on my EQ6. A small problem showed up. My neighbour has a 'pretty' conifertree of about 4,5m high next to my garden.

setup2.jpg

This tree is almost exactly in the north and polaris is just striking past it, so normally that is no problem. NGC 7288 is rising low in the northeast and so it's hidden behind the tree in the early evening. So I decided to move the scope half a meter backwards to make more exposures.

Than I had a problem, because polaris was hidden behind the tree, which I discovered when performing the pole alignment with the mount. Luckily the new EQ6 firmware has a polar alignment function which I could test now.

First I did a three-star align with Arcturus, Phad and Wega. The mount gave an alignment accuracy of 0 gr 30'' 10' / 0 gr 55'' 05'. After that I performed a polar realign on Schedar (just visible next to the tree). Result: 0gr 00'' 00' / 0gr 11'' 00'. This seemed more than acceptable for the combination of scope and mount, so I started imaging.

I guided (off-axis) and took 30 minutes h-alpha exposures. The stars looked like this:

guiding.jpg

The guiding gave an RMS of 0,16 and 0,21 pixels, with a maximum of < 1 pixel for the whole night, so that looked good. De stars showed to be perfectly round without any polar rotation effects.

Conclusion: even without a visible polaris you can accurately align the EQ-6 with the new firmware...

The result of the imaging is here:

20120619195758_ngc_7822_cederblad_214_2012.jpg

• Like 1

That's pretty cool. My CG5 also has a new Polar Align routine called "Allstar" but i've yet to use it in anger. Might try it now!

That's pretty cool. My CG5 also has a new Polar Align routine called "Allstar" but i've yet to use it in anger. Might try it now!

Works fine on a CG5. Use it all the time (in this context all the time means every time the skies are clear, the full moon is not up and I am at home - that is - not very often :mad: ). It is fairly quick and pretty easy once you have understodd. There are many threads on it here. Try this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/128171-cg5-gt-alignment/

old_eyes

Thats lovely. Seems to work really well to my unpractised eye!

Good to know for when I upgrade.

Thanks

Martin

Sorry but what new firmware ? 3.27 ??

Okay strike that I've found it, after all you did say "Beta " DOH !

Edited by beamish

Sound like they've gone down the same route as Alignmaster which I've just started using, but without the laptop. Sounds good.