Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet of the century?

keeplookingup

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't interested in astronomy when Hale-Bopp went over, but every night I looked out for it why I don't know, maybe it was because it in the news so much, as for Hyakutake I’ve never heard of it.

I saw both and have to say it is a tough choice! HB stuck around for a long time and I was able to follow it's gradual brightening and then see the spectacle. Hyakutake on the other hand, I think was the better of the two in terms of it's size and brightness, but was all over relatively quickly.

If I had to choose, probably Hyakutake.

We were spoiled really back in the 90s to have two such bright comets within a year of each other. Hyakutake was amazing by itself and would have been the best comet for thirty years but for what came a year later - Hale Bopp. HB gets my vote as it was visible easily with the naked eye for months from heavily light polluted locations.

I got into astronomy just as HB was coming. by chance. but i missed so many.

I don't know how someone could define A great comet. so many factors.

but HB was visible for a long time but not as bright as others.

in 1910 Halley's was supposedly very good. oh well

HB will be back on 5400 AD let's meet for lunch ok? :grin:

Yep, another one for Hale Bopp, it was truly spectacular. I remember that my wife worked nights in a rest home in the countryside that had dark skies (if you got a few hundred yards from the building) and every clear evening I would drop her off at work and then drive further down the lane, wind down the window, and just look. Didn't have a telescope or even binoculars at the time but even so, when I got home, I would discover that I had just sat there looking for well over an hour. I found t totally awe-inspiring. I guess we will not see another like it in my life time.

thanks guys for the input. to be honest 1997 was a long time ago and since i haven't really read up on it. i wasn't sure it i actually saw HB but after 2 days of reading and the book i fnished yesterday, i knew that i am lucky to have watched this ... i saw it for many months....awesome.

but i missed mcnaught..... :(

Can't say I remember Hyakutake but Hale-Bopp was very impressive. I just happened to be on holiday in the Lake Distict at the time so enjoyed seeing it with minimal light pollution. I took some some photos with a scotch mount setup and 400 asa slide film which came out very well. (just like the photo above though mine were taken with a 50mm lens so gave a smaller image). Must mention Comet Bennet while I'm at it. I saw this looking to the east from my bedroom window at about 4 am in April 1970. It was easily as impressive as Hale-Bopp and stretched for several degrees across the sky if I remember correctly. Definitely another comet of the century.

Dave

Archived