SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mass has Wavelength?

Today in PH4 physics (A-Level) we were told that mass has a wavelength and asked to show that it does. We started from E=hc/lambda then progressed to E=mc^2 and interchanged the two to show that mass can have a wavelength. Does this then mean that mass also has a frequency at a certain speed (c=f*lambda ... f=c/lambda)? We don't really go into too much depth in class, only what is needed on syllabus.

Sion

You're talking about matter waves and de Broglie here?

James

Yes, we used an example of electrons and determined their wavelength but didn't finish completely, I believe the next stage is to compare it with Muon and Tau particles.

Sion

This "matter wave" is not a physical wave, it is a probability wave (actually, it's square is a probability wave). Sorry if this sounds cryptic. I don't have time to write more, as I have to get some stuff done for work. I will try and write more later today or tomorrow.

Archived